Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Thoughts for the Day…

Shall I Howl???

full_moon_02_20001I am a firm believer that the gravitational pulls of a full moon have effects on our brain chemistry.  Last night, I was sitting here at this computer and looked out the window: A full moon.  I immediately called dad on his cell phone even though he had just left after our medication ritual.

“Guess what?” I asked him. “It is a full moon.  You know what I should be doing.”

“You should be acting crazy, drinking beer, and raisin’ hell,” dad replied laughing.

I laughed and laughed. It was so true.

“We should be full tilt nuts right now.”

“That explains the crazy customers I had in the store all day,” dad said laughing some more. “Everybody was wanting their pain pills.  We had some real crazies today.”

At least dad and I can laugh about it.  It was true though.  Tomorrow was to be my shot and it was a full moon – a very interesting combination.  

Throwing Caution to the Wind with Facebook…

51 I am throwing caution to the wind with regards to Facebook.  I am just going to be me and be honest about my problems and I.  I realized that was the only way I was going to use the service.  So many of my former blogging friends have gravitated there.  They no longer write their blogs and just post on Facebook.  I want to join in.  It feels odd letting my classmates know I have a mental illness, though.  There is a stigma to mental illness and we learn to hide it.  There has been an outpouring of support about religion though. Classmates are contacting me via email and an old friend who used to work for my father stopped by my house yesterday with a “recovery Bible” after what I wrote on Facebook.  It was so good seeing her, but it felt kind of odd.  She wants me to go to church with her this Sunday.  I used the same excuse I use with Mrs. Florene.  I don’t have Sunday clothes.  I am just not ready for formal religion just yet and the Baptists are certainly interesting.

Computer Stuff…

abit_big You may remember I put together a computer out of spare parts I had lying around.  Last night, I got adventurous and started to overclock.  It has a 3.0 GHz “prescott” Intel Pentium 4 processor.  I managed to bump up the front side bus up to 1000 MHz for an amazing overclock of 3.75 GHz.  I was so proud and excited, and it is rock solid stable as well. 

I also managed to overclock the memory/RAM for my main blogging and gaming computer.  I linked the memory bus to the front side CPU bus for an overclock of 850 MHz.  The front side bus is running at 1700 MHz.  That was just amazing!  I am still astounded that it is stable, but we are running fine.  I ran lots of number crunching tests and didn’t get any errors. 

Next on the agenda was overclocking my Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT video card. The bios is locked so no overclocking.  I was so disappointed.  It is a good card, though, at stock speeds and has served me well these past few years. 

I changed browsers yesterday.  Internet Explorer 8 was running slow for me in 64-bit mode so I changed to Apple’s Safari 4 browser.  It isn’t groundbreaking, but it does the job and I like it so far.  It is fast and stable.  I’ve never liked Firefox because of the download manager.  I download lots of stuff and I was always hunting where Firefox put them.  It aggravated the shit out of me.  Firefox is still the fastest and most secure browser, though.   

3 comments:

Joy Heather said...

Not too sure how i feel about the moons pull etc..got an open mind on that...but you must have a clever brain Andrew..all the things you know about computers etc..dont ever sell yourself short !!..You are a clever & astute man and the problems you have with mental illness are only a part of what makes up the whole person...concentrate on your undoubted Positives and allow the negatives to take back seat Andrew..hope you are feeling on top now you have got your Medication.

Berryvox said...

I think you're using Facebook the way it was intended to be used. I can empathize with being nervous about the stigma of mental illness though. I stopped blogging about schizophrenia issues after I gave my father my blog address. Mostly because I don't want him to worry. Luckily, I don't have too much trouble w/the schizophrenia though.

Charlotte said...

Just so you know... I LOVE seeing you on Facebook. Now I feel even more connected to you somehow. I have found that my high school classmates are more accepting than I EVER thought they would be. I have shared in many status updates the roller coaster ride that I live on daily with my mental illness. The support and love from people that I knew as a kid, that weren't necessarily supportive of me or a friend back then, are now so loving and supportive. It blows my mind sometimes.

Don't let anyone push you into going to church until you are READY to go. You will know when it's time. I know you live in the south and Southern Baptist churches are everywhere. Church is different these days. You don't have to dress in "your Sunday best" for church anymore. Heck, I wear jeans most of the time and I work for the church! :-) Find a church that accepts you for YOU... not for the clothes you wear. They are just clothes... the only time it really matters is on Easter Sunday or Christmas Eve... and then it's still more casual than it used to be. You will know when you're ready...