Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Thoughts for the Day…

Calls of Caring…

I called dad last night before he got off of work. 

“I don’t need anything,” I said. “I just wanted to call you and tell you I love you and I am so thankful for all you do for me.  I wouldn’t be where I am at if it wasn’t for your help.”

“Well, thank you!” dad replied enthusiastically. “It is nice when you call like this.  You should do it more often.”

“I made a point of telling mom this as well,” I told him. “You two mean the world to me.”

“We just love you,” dad said. “I know I can be tough sometimes, but I do care.”

I felt so much better.  Dad was in a great mood when he arrived with my medications.  We got in this involved discussion of religion and it’s effects on Southern culture and politics.

“Watch as this health care bill gets all the religious people up in arms over abortions and whether the government will pay for them.”

I chuckled.  He was right.  It is going to get interesting.  Us hapless bystanders in the minority can only just gawk and watch.  I worried how socialized healthcare was going to affect dad and my brother and sister, though.  There is always two sides to a coin. 

5 comments:

Sharyna said...

I don't know how this healthcare thing will affect my daughter. It won't affect me or my brother at all. Should be interesting...

impromptublogger said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better about things and yourself right now. You are still fairly young and I hope within the next 20 years they really will have a handle on curing (or least really controlling) mental illnesses.

I hope this healthcare reform will help people such as yourself too - especially considering the state you live in is at the bottom or near the bottom of coverage for the uninsured (and unemployed too).

This IS The Fun Part! said...

It's great that instead of worrying about how your dad has been acting, you made the decision to call him at work and just clear the air.

Solved what could have been a big problem for you and made both mom and dad feel good at the same time.

Good job, Andrew! You set your little corner of the world back on track with that one decision!

I love it!!
Grannie

Joy Heather said...

That was a great thing to do Andrew..and it worked wonders didn't it...talking things through is always a good policy...im so glad you & your Dada are fine again...but i knew you would be.

justLacey said...

Good move, I know it made you feel better too.