Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My Thoughts for the Day…

Computer Stuff…

My Twitter/email/TV computer started restarting randomly yesterday.  I was stumped until I changed the power supply from 300 watts to a 430 watt power supply. It is running fine now.  The overclock was causing the motherboard to use more “juice” and it wasn’t getting enough power.  I love trouble shooting this sort of thing.  I really should get a job working on computers.  Most people don’t know this, but I am A+ certified to repair PCs.  I took the exam in Montgomery, Al. years ago and it cost $250 dollars to take it which I thought was a racket. 

Mental Illness Update for the Day…

I am feeling very mentally well today.  I woke up in very good spirits.  I am still having those periods of euphoria, but they will soon pass as my body becomes acclimated to this new high level of medications.  I was on 25mg a day and now it is double to 50mg a day.  I still grow very tired at the end of the day, though.  I was in the bed by eight last night and slept until 5am this morning.

The Stigma of Mental Illness…

I am in a long running conversation with a lady on Twitter about the stigmas of mental illness.  It is true most of us hide our disease when it would be perfectly acceptable to tell employers, friends, and family we had cancer or the flu.  She feels more people die unduly to mental illness due to this stigma.  She is probably right.  I am in the position where I don’t work and frankly have grown tired of hiding my illness over the years.  I want to reach out to others with my same problems and realized I had to speak out to do this.  I really don’t consider myself an advocate per se, but do want to reach out and talk.  It is actually incredibly hard to find others with mental illness in these social media outlets due to the stigma involved. I have found two people with schizophrenia on Twitter after countless searches and only one on Facebook. 

5 comments:

Joy Heather said...

I am not surprised you got those Qualifications in Computers & repairs etc..i felt a long time ago you would be able to get work in that area anytime you wanted to....it is something to consider..because the joy of that is that you could work from Home...I'm glad you are still feeling good mentally..i pray this carries on. i have sent you an E-mail..i can not get onto twitter..everything is fine until i put my E-mail address in..then it says this e-mail is in use..HOW ON EARTH CAN THAT BE ???..if anyone had my E-mail address they would get my E-mails...there can never be 2 identical e-mails can there...i dont know much about these things but that is just common sense..so i am not able to join twitter, unless i set myself up with another E-mail adress..is twitter really good, my grandkids use it i know.

Andrew said...

Joy,

That is certainly strange about your email being in use. Twitter is interesting. People chat all day about their lives and their days mostly. You can only write 140 characters at a time which makes it paramount to use your words wisely. I recommend following some of the people I follow and "listen" to them a few days and then join in on the discussions. Twitter is like anything and you get out of it what you put into it. I strongly recommend Tweetdeck as an application to use with Twitter. It makes things much more easier to keep up with as Twitter can be kind of chaotic. You will find as you talk and follow people, they will follow you back and it makes Twitter a less lonely place to be. I hope you get on and ask me anytime for help.

Sharon said...

You know, a home based computer repair business might not be a bad thing for you. Rather than having to go out and answer to a boss, you can answer to yourself and work at your own pace. You might want to consider it, being as you ARE qualified. Just a thought.

Andrew said...

Sharon,

It would be nice to work for myself. If only I could make enough money to support myself AND afford the $1000 dollars a month my medications cost. That cost has been one of the biggest obstacles to me returning to work. I would lose my coverage if I made over $900 dollars a month in income. It is certainly something to mull over and thanks for the advice.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

Loved your Attitude of Gratitude video - but it wouldn't let me post a comment!

Had to laugh when you said you weren't wearing pants. I often wonder if news broadcasters have pants on behind that desk?

Keep up that positive thinking. The more positive you think, the more positive your life will be. At least that's how it usually works out for me!

Don't eat all your Snickers in one day. Save one for tomorrow!

Love ya,
Grannie