Thursday, February 07, 2019

A Hair Bristling Experience…

I was on the very last leg of my daily walk when this silver SUV slowly pulled up nearby to me. The hair on my neck bristled with warnings of danger. It was almost dark outside and I couldn’t quite discern who it was in the bright headlights.

“Andrew! It’s Charlie!” Charlie said rolling down his window.

I laughed in complete and total relief.

“How far do you have to walk to finish?” Charlie asked me.

“Just a few hundred more yards up to the house,” I replied, huffing and puffing, almost out of breath.

I was doing some serious power walking tonight which also makes me feel self conscious. I think I look silly doing it like being a member of the ministry of silly walks ala Monte Python. .

“Get in the car, then. I’ve got you and Maggie some supper.”

I climbed in Charlie's car and away we went just up the hill to Andrew's casa. Charlie had gotten Maggie and I each a chicken sandwich from Chick-fil-A before he left Auburn on his way home from work.

“There is plenty of that Polynesian sauce you so love in the bag,” Charlie told me.

I don’t know what misguided Charlie into thinking I love that Polynesian sauce so much. I like my Chick-fil-A sandwich with mayo and ketchup.

Charlie went straight for the kitchen like a man on a mission.

“Wait a minute while I clean your sink!” he told me eagerly.

I laughed in exasperation. I had just been washing dishes earlier in the day and hadn’t quite finished the job. Charlie scrubbed away while I changed out of my walking clothes into something more comfortable – a t-shirt and some shorts.

“It is so warm tonight!” Charlie said making small talk.

“It got up to 81° degrees today,” I replied to Charlie. “I noticed all the crickets were back out and chirping on my walk after being dormant for most of the winter..”

I asked Charlie about a William Fowler in the Air Force during Vietnam and he couldn't recollect anybody by that name. Sorry Sharyn. I tried!

Charlie also had Horsefly’s nightly chicken strips in the car and said he needed to deliver them before Horsefly got cranky.

No comments: