Sunday, February 24, 2019

One Hundred Years Young…

Charlie was really, really early this morning and I just happened to be up at 8:30am on a Sunday morning. I never know when Charlie will arrive. The weather is more predictable. Maggie yelped loudly and I looked out the window to see Charlie walking across the front yard his hands full of food and drinks.

“My sister-in-law had her 100th birthday yesterday,” Charlie told me standing at my front door.

“Your sister-in-law?” I asked incredulously as I invited Charlie inside.

I forget Charlie had 13 brothers and sisters and he was the youngest.

“I drove down to Thomasville, Georgia for the celebrations,” Charlie said.

Thomasville is also the home of my father’s beloved cousin, Jean, and Charlie said he made it a point to see her as well.

Charlie handed me a handful of biscuits and drinks which I juggled before I could set them down atop the entertainment center. All the time, Maggie was barking very loudly and jubilantly. Charlie got on the couch as Maggie jumped up to greet him. Charlie just lavished Maggie with adulated attention.

“You realize you have been doing this four years and you have never missed once,” I told Charlie.

“Your daddy told me you told him the same thing last night,” Charlie replied with a chuckle. “Time flies!”

“Love you!” Charlie said, getting up to leave. “I have a senior coffee to deliver. Tell Tracy I love her as well.”

My girl with the curls and the curves. She stepped out of the bathroom about the time Charlie was leaving. Charlie gave her a hug and told her how ravishingly beautiful she looked this morning.

No comments: