Saturday, February 09, 2019

A Seat at the Table…

“Come over for breakfast!” my father said early this morning. “I’ve saved a seat at the table for you.”

I rushed through a quick shower and headed to my father’s house. He had cooked Clark Brother’s sausage, scrambled eggs, and homemade biscuits. The adornments were sharp cheddar cheese slices and strawberry preserves. It was a real treat as you all know how much I adore a big breakfast.

About the time we finished eating, Charlie walked through the back door.

“I’m cutting your hair tomorrow night so get ready!” Charlie told me. “And don’t forget I’m bringing you and Ms. Maggie biscuits in the morning.”

He then fixed himself some biscuits with butter and strawberry preserves. Charlie has an insatiable sweet tooth.

“John, these biscuits are delicious!” I heard him say. 

Afterwards, we retired to the den to watch The Weather Channel. You know I love the weather and weather watching, but The Weather Channel bores me for some reason. I guess because they never show local weather much and only show the weather in someone else’s backyard. Usually, there is nothing more boring than someone else’s weather unless it is something like a hurricane.

“Are you tired of sausage biscuits already?” Charlie asked me abruptly as we sat in the den.

Charlie asked me this a few months ago and I gave him the same answer. I noticed dad turned his head to look for my reaction. I had complained earlier that Maggie and I were tired of sausage biscuits every Sunday.

“Maggie and I are just glad to get them,” I replied mostly honestly.

What could I say? I’d rather get sausage biscuits than nothing. I do love it when they get the order wrong and we get bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits, though.  Nice surprises are the spice of life!

1 comment:

Kran's Crackers said...

Why don't you say to Charlie "I love the sausage biscuits but every now and the I'd love a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit". Who knows, maybe he'll surprise you?