Saturday, February 16, 2019

All I Did is Wonder How Your Arms Would Be…

“I can move boxes!” my father astutely exclaimed this morning as Charlie and I were about to head out.

Charlie had been down to McDonald’s and gotten all of us sausage biscuits and drinks. Dad jumped in the big U-Haul with us which I had to drive. We did, indeed, need all the help we could get.

We moved my furniture first. The couch, recliner, my bedroom suite, and the entertainment center. All of this went to Charlie’s spare house – the house behind my father’s. This used to be my grandmother’s house. Then we were on the road to Tracy’s apartment and boy, was she glad to see us.

“I thought y’all would never get here!” She said, all smiles.

Dad and Tracy got busy loading boxes into the truck as Charlie and I loaded up furniture. It didn’t take near as long as I thought it would. Soon, we were then headed back to the Valley with Tracy and Wheezy following behind us in her car. Inside my home went Tracy’s much, much nicer furniture.

“I guess I will be bringing three biscuits in the morning,” Charlie said with a chuckle.

Tracy and I profusely thanked Charlie for all the help.

“I owe you a big favor!” I told Charlie, giving him a hug. 

The tell-tale point was when Tracy let Wheezy out of her cat carrier. We all held our breaths as she emerged cautiously. Maggie immediately chased her under a bed and barked for a good half hour. Maggie finally relented and left her alone still eyeing her suspiciously. Maggie’s not happy with the arrangement, but I do think she will grow to accept and welcome Wheezy over time. She couldn’t get a more laidback companion.

On a funny note, Tracy put down some cat food in a bowl on the floor and Maggie was like, “Thank You! I was needing a snack!”

“This is not going to work,” Tracy said, stymied.

She moved the bowl to a kitchen table chair and that did the trick. Wheezy jumped up and ate her food. 

Tracy is just pleased as punch and is settling in – making my home her home. She is busily unloading boxes in the den as I write this. I am afraid my closet space is going to be zilch or none when all is said and done.

No comments: