Friday, February 08, 2019

Dealing With Riff Raff…

I locked my front door and was about to start my walk for the day. Down my front steps I went. This black fellow was walking by my house just at that moment.

“Hey, Man!” he said brashly. “Give me a ride over to the housing projects.”

“Can’t,” I replied. “I am going for my daily walk and don’t have my car keys on me.”

He was giving me bad vibes anyway and I wouldn’t have given him a ride even if I was fixing to drive somewhere.

“It is cause I be black!” he callously retorted reeking of racism. “I see how you is going to be.”

“I wouldn’t give you a ride if you were a pretty Caucasian woman!” I replied with a harrumph.

I zipped up my jacket this chilly evening, tucked my hands in my pockets, and headed out for my walk. I hope he freezes his ass off on that long walk from my neighborhood. He was rude and uncouth.

On Loneliness…

I read the “The Homeless Guy” blog for a good many years. I don’t think I’ve read about a more lonely man than he and he was surrounded by people being homeless. He was always at odds with himself and the people around him. Millions read his blog and I don’t think he garnered not one lasting friendship out of the endeavor. People would try to befriend him, but he would eventually push them away. He was always so paranoid and suspicious of others.

When I was drinking, I never got lonely. John Barleycorn was my best friend and he kept me company. John Barleycorn was also the jealous type and I ended up not having one soul in my life who cared about me there at the end of my homeless career. I could understand what loneliness Kevin Barbieux felt. I later found George and the gang and they embraced me drunkenness and all. I had finally found some friends who were like me.

When I sobered up, I could no longer hang out with my drinking friends. We all went our separate ways. That’s when loneliness really hit me. When I sobered up.

I called my father tonight and asked him when we were taking his car to the shop to get a headlight fixed. I easily get lonely these days now that I do not drink. I was trying to get up something constructive to do this afternoon that would involve fellowship and comradery.

“I got it fixed earlier in the week,” he told me. “You must be lonely.”

“Yeah, a little bit,” I replied. “Tracy has class tonight after work.”

“I’ve got to go out to eat with a friend, Dave, and I will call you when we get back,” dad told me. “You can come and hang out with me and Samantha and drink you a Coke.”

I told him that sounded like a great deal! That sounded wonderful!

No comments: