Thursday, February 21, 2019

Farewell and Thanks for the Wine!

Tracy and I moseyed on over to my father’s house tonight for a visit. Dad had a birthday card for my niece that I needed to sign and he was going to put it in the mail tonight in time to arrive for her birthday. Well, Old Fuss and Feathers had been enjoying a few glasses of wine and was still in his pajamas from this morning. Quite a few to be exact. He was slurring his words. Charlie had been over and was just leaving as we arrived. He took a moment to speak to us and then he was on his way.

“Y’all look good together!” he said, waving goodbye.

“Do you want a glass of white wine?” Old Fuss and Feathers asked Tracy and she said yes.

“Don’t encourage him!” I told Tracy, laughing nervously.

We all laughed.

“You know you can’t have any, Andrew!” Old Fuss and Feathers replied to me.

Dad got to talking about my mother and got all teary eyed on the verge of crying. About this time, Tracy got dad to pour her another glass of wine. Sheesh! I was outnumbered here!

“I am fixing to put on some clothes and go mail this birthday card,” Old Fuss and Feathers said.

“Oh, no your are not!” I interrupted. “Tracy and I will mail it on our way home.”

I snatched the card away from my father’s grasp despite his protests.

By this time, Tracy had gotten tipsy as well and was just gushing to my father how much she loved me and how much she loved him, too!

“I would’ve loved to have met Mrs. Martha!” she told my father setting my father off on another tearful tangent about my mother.

Tracy and I finally took our leave after her third glass of white wine.

“This bra is coming off as soon as we get home,” Tracy candidly exclaimed as we sat down in the car to drive home. “It is driving me crazy!”

I smiled feverishly and laughed. Yes, we got the card mailed off to Auburn.

2 comments:

glittermom said...

That sounded very uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

Slippery slope...