Thursday, December 06, 2007

A Bacon and Tomato Sarnie

My neighbor Joyce was feeling much better today despite a terrible time last night. She welcomed me inside her home as she fixed us some toasted tomato and bacon sandwiches. I watched as she carefully spread on mayonnaise on toasted bread, layered with bacon and sliced tomato. She sprinkled on a little salt and pepper and then put them on plates with a heaping serving of potato chips and a kosher dill pickle spear.

"You don't remember being so paranoid last night?" I asked her, worried.

"I remember coming over to your house for something to eat," Joyce replied.

"You thought you were being followed," I said. "You said 'they' were watching you."

"Oh Lord," she replied. "Don't mind me. I am still not feeling myself."

We sat, eating our delicious sandwiches to the drone of her favorite soap opera on the TV. I was enjoying having the company of another. I get so terribly lonesome these days. I would go crazy if is wasn't for Maggie to break up the monotony of my days.

After our lunch, Joyce walked into her bathroom to bring me her many pill bottles. We sat down and organized them into a pill box.

"Gosh, you take so many," I said, flabbergasted. "No wonder you feel badly."

"Don't tell me that," Joyce emphatically replied. "I will quit taking them."

"Sorry!" I said, backpeddling.

I didn't mean to discourage her from taking her medications. I can just be overly critical these days of all these psychiatric drugs. I just worry she is being overmedicated, but I am not her doctor. I should keep my opinions to myself. I almost caused more problems than I would have solved.

"You know what would be fun?" I then asked Joyce, beaming with a grin.

"What?"

"Let's ride around this evening after dark and look at all the Christmas lights."

"Daddy used to take us around to do that in his car," Joyce replied.

"You want to go? We will be like kids at Christmas."

"I would love to!" Joyce replied. "I will see you tonight."

I walked on home to a glorious greeting by Maggie. I am looking forward to exploring our little town tonight and trying to find the gaudiest Christmas decorations in our little area. That has given me something to look forward to.

12 comments:

justLacey said...

Oh that sounds like fun. We do that here with the kids. Take a Christmas CD and play the music while you ride.

Josie Two Shoes said...

This was a smile-generating post about friendship and caring, I hope you have a lovely time this evening... take pictures! :-)

Jenn said...

I like to do that too. I've been feeling so Bah-Humbuggy-Grinchy lately, maybe that's just the ticket for me. I think I'll drag the fam out tonite for some lights!

CJM-R said...

For me it is all about having something to look forward to... big and small... Enjoy. I love riding around looking at the Christmas lights.. Fun!

C. R. Morris said...

Looking at Christmas lights is one of my most favorite things to do. We used to buy one of those big barber pole candy canes, hit it with a hammer to break it into pieces, put them in a ziploc bag and ride around in the car all over Midfield and Hueytown, AL looking at lights. Good memories, good times. I hope the two of you have a great time!

mosiacmind said...

I so enjoy looking at the Christmas lights! The city bus used to have some nights where they would take people around downtown to see the lights and one of the insurance companies does a huge manger scene and have groups come and sing..good memories. I hope that you enjoy driving and seeing the lighs and that you delight in your tree too.

Rhette said...

Sounds like fun Andrew, I am so happy you and Joyce are friends! Is Maggie going along for the ride? LoL

Kirs ~

mago said...

Take pictures please.

Kelly Jene said...

That sounds like fun and a truly free way to get into the Christmas spirit. I think we'll do that this weekend. There is a great neighborhood in the next town over called Candy Cane Lane and the entire neighborhood gets involved and does extravagant displays. They have someone stand out and be "Santa" for the kids. Thanks for the idea! Have fun! Oh.. bottle up some cocoa if you have it.

Cheryl said...

One of my favorite things to do...drive around looking at lights. My shrubs are still lit from underneath the snow. So pretty.

ac said...

You should see the lights here in my neighborhood. Christmas has exploded around here. Very colorful. You would like. One house even has a six foot blow-up snow globe! lol I'll catch a snap of it if I get a chance. ac

Anonymous Boxer said...

Yes, pictures please.