Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Ye Gods Must Be Testing Us...

The strangest thing happened last night before bed. Things like this just do not happen to me. I was anticipating Joyce coming over to sleep so I unfolded the sleep-away bed in my couch. I thought Joyce would like to sleep in the room with the Christmas tree and its warm glow. I thought it would be calming to her. As I pulled out the bed, a bunch of spare change fell out along with a hundred dollar bill.

"Holy Mother of God," I muttered as I bent down to pick it up.

This is the most money I have had in months. My old self would have immediately drove to the convenience store to get beer, and to get drunk. I went on to bed anticipating Joyce knocking on the door at any moment. I finally ended up having to call the paramedics and they took Joyce to the hospital. It looks like she will be in the hospital for Christmas. She was out of her gourd last night.

What am I going to do with the money? Stamps for Christmas cards. Fill up my car. Buy some Cokes. And buy some Benadryl at the grocery store. I am going to try my best to keep from drinking beer. It certainly will be the biggest test of my newfound sobriety in the 21 days I have been sober, though. You all think of me and let's hope I have enough God given sense to lay off the booze during this very tempting time.

18 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow! That's amazing! I wonder if your mom snuck the bill in there knowing you'd eventually find it. She seems like the type of kind soul to do that. And it would enable her to give you money without your dad knowing it was her.
I'm crossing my fingers for you that you're able to stay sober -even with the cash.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Wow Andrew, what a blessing and what a great chance to prove to yourself that you can handle money responsibly and avoid alcohol! If the temptation gets hard, head off to a meeting! I am so delighted for you, somewhere you have an angel! :-)

Me said...

God works in mysterious ways. I will keep thinking good thoughts that you can keep strong in the face of your demons. If you feel the need, drop the beer and find a meeting. You will feel so much better doing that, than the aftermath of a quick fix and being poor again later.

STACY'S TRIP said...

ok, I will just say it. Call your Dad and ask if he is missing money before you spend it.

Blue Gardenia said...

Nice find of cash. But Andrew, I know that Benadryl is good for you to sleep especially when taking anti-psychotic medicine. But let us be very careful about our dosage lest this become another possible source for frurther addiction. I am not saying this to be snide or critical. I am in the exact same boat as you are and I care about you. Anything in excess is dangerous. The olf Taoists used to say, "Everything is medicine, everything is poison."

Portia said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Joyce. It was so sweet of you to prepare her a place by the warm glow of the tree.

How exciting about the $100 bill! I have found lost fives before, but that's about it. I hope it brightens your day, even if you spend it all at once to avoid temptation.

And very well done, by the way, on the long stretch of sobriety.

lynn said...

I am praying for you. Maybe the money would make a good present for someone in need or a good donation to AA.

Jessica said...

Yay! Your good fortune has made my day! Keep hanging in there. :)

Kelly Jene said...

Oh Lord, let me have that kind of luck! A gift from the Mom angel, perhaps?

I hope Joyce gets the help she needs.

Anonymous Boxer said...

Hellooooo Benjamin!!!

justLacey said...

A test of your sobriety. Try not to fail and not to replace drink with Benadryl.

Ilene said...

Maybe you can use it to buy Christmas presents for your family, along with some of the things you need.

Sharyna said...

How lucky!! I once found $50 in an old jacket pocket. I never thought of looking in the hide a bed. Sorry about Joyce. I'm proud of you avoiding the demon.

sharyna

The Little Woman and Hubby said...

I'm sorry Joyce is having such a tough time.

Wow! $100 that is great. It would be a good time for you to buy a gasoline card so you will have gas when you need it and maybe stock up on cokes (sodas). I know you know what cokes are, just your readers might not. LOL! Or stock up on some extra groceries that would be a treat to you when you are low on money again.

simonsays said...

Funny how God works, isn't it?

I have had things like that happen, just when I needed them to, also.

Have a good day today, Andrew!

AlabamaGal said...

I am sorry about Joyce.
That was a very pleasant surprise to find $100 in the couch. I always joke with Armando when I find $5.00 in our bag and I tell him, LOOK, We are rich! :)
Try your best to stay away from the drinks except hot chocolate and yummy drinks that are good for you. You are so close to a month of sobriety. Isn't that a great feeling?

-Michelle

CRUSTYBEEF said...

Maybe you could use it to buy a Christmas present for Maggie!

Tests come in all forms, and you are smart enough to see that!
you're going good!!!
Always,
Crusty~
treat yourself to a great dinner with a good friend..

Dr. Ethel said...

Consider it as a ten thousand pennies from Heaven with ten thousand guardian angels watching out for you. You're special!