Thursday, December 20, 2007

Friend or Foe, Ferret?

I enjoy hanging out with Ferret despite his drinking ways. You would think a stodgy old recovering alcoholic like me would shy away from his fellow drunks, but as I said in a previous post: beggars can't be choosers. I certainly don't have many friends crawling out of the woodwork. I can count on Ferret liking me for just who I am, warts and all. I consider him a friend.

We walked down to the grand Chattahoochee early this morning scouting out campsites for a camping adventure I have planned. Ferret was giving me tips on where to pitch my tent. He lived on the river in a tent for half of a year, homeless.

"You don't want to pitch your tent too close to the water," Ferret told me as we walked through the woods behind the rail yard.

"Why?" I asked, amused.

"When they generate electricity up at the dam, the water will rise and I am always afraid it would overflow the banks. It stinks to high heaven as well."

We finally came upon a spot where Moore's creek intersects the Chattahoochee. I decided this would be my place to camp out tonight.

"It is gonna rain tonight," Ferret said, looking up at a gray and overcast sky. "I can feel it in my bones."

"I want it to rain," I said, sitting down on a log to light up a cigarillo. I handed one to Ferret as well, and he sat down beside me.

"What do you want for Christmas?" Ferret asked me as we sat there.

"To get drunk without consequences," I told him. "I am mourning not being able to drink. It is as if I have lost a long time friend."

Ferret laughed and slapped me on my knee.

"I am getting curtains," I finally said.

Ferret burst out laughing again.

"That sounds like something a woman would get!"

"I must've been a woman in a past life," I replied, poking a stick into the soggy ground as I smiled. It didn't embarrass me. I laughed along as well.

When I left Ferret, he was heading across the river to Subway for lunch. I was invited, but declined. I can eat homemade sandwiches for a week on what it costs to eat at Subway once. Money management was never Ferret's strong suite.

22 comments:

justLacey said...

I bet you'd have lots of friends if you were out and about more. Look how many you have online. It's nice to ave old friends and new. Enjoy your camp out. Roast me a marshmallow.

mosiacmind said...

When are you camping out? Does Maggie go with you? I know that when one is struggling with avoiding a addiction that holidays can be hard....remember you have lots of friends here in blogger land that support you. It is hard when one is used to one way of celebrating and then choose not to do that.

Anonymous Boxer said...

The way you and Ferret communicate; I'd say he is a friend.

The real "foe" is the alcohol. I'm sorry you miss it.... no change is easy and this struggle will hopefully soon pass.

Your friend,
Boxer

abbagirl74 said...

I remember last fall when you used to camp out under the stars. It was always so peaceful, especially the way you would describe it. I can only imagine your enthusiasm to do it again.

Dave said...

To get drunk without consequences versus curtains ... I am glad you made the wise choice. All the best this year. :-)

Debbie said...

a camping trip sounds wonderful! i camped a lot as kid with my family. in a big green canvas army tent my dad got somewhere. i have many fond memories of vermont and upstate new york.

Leann said...

I hope you have a warm sleeping bag and a good tarp to keep the humidity out of your tent. If I camped this time of year I'd freeze by a$$ off. I have a good sleeping bag, but not the stamina to deal with the cold....bbbrrrrr

Nick said...

Fuck, have a beer. and one for me, too.

Summer said...

Ferret sounds like a good friend, as do you. Keep up the fight. I am proud of you. Will Maggie join you tonight?

Cheryl said...

I got a chuckle out of your exchange with Ferret. I needed that. I thought I had a terrible day until I read Summer's post. I hope your night is a good one. I'll look for you in the morn.

Wayne Allen Sallee said...

hey, you can get through this, next blog over guy. i look at each day as if i am dog paddling and every other person is swimming just fine. but some days my head is getting pushed under water. i'm, not a drinker, i have cerebral palsy. be safe. i know all about anxiety attacks, too.

Ferrets of the Caribbean said...

I agree, ferrets are good friends even human ones. Best of luck to you, 30 days is something to be proud of.

kario said...

Congratulations on 30 days. I hope you get over missing it as time passes. Have a beautiful camping trip and enjoy every minute.

Tee said...

I think the curtains are the BEST gift. Why not camp in your backyard and Maggie can be a part of your adventure?

Tee

blocko said...

i bet you're a massive tool

Eric said...

"I must've been a woman in a past life" great line. Guess that might apply to me as well, cause my list this year included, towels bed linens and cooking utensils. Oh and a few manly items ...lol

Shore said...

Have you considered going to AA meetings and finding friends there? Sober friends are a far better influence when you are trying to stay sober.

Portia said...

There's nothing like a friend who truly accepts you for who you are.
I know not drinking is a constant struggle, but hang in there! You've come a long way.

mosiacmind said...

NICK...IF US ADDICTS COULD JUST DRINK ONE DRINK OR JUST A FEW PILLS THEN THERE WOULD NOT NEED TO BE AA OR NA AND I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE JUST ONE BUT I CANNOT STOP ONCE I HAVE STARTED AND WITH ANDREWW STRUGGLING HE COULD NOT JUST DRINK ONE DRINK EVEN IF WE COULD IT WOULD SPIRL DOWN INTO A RELAPSE AND BINGE USING AGAIN.

Leann said...

by the by, stodgy and old are not two descriptives that fit you!!

:-)

CRUSTYBEEF said...

You are in my warm thoughts..
I'm sending you virtual snow right now! :)
Always,
Crusty~

CRUSTYBEEF said...

P.S. I'll camp in the spring and summer and fall..not winter..but than again, it's 30 something degrees during the day. My heat is turned down to 65 at night and it's a slight chill. :)
Always,
Crusty
have fun on that camping trip. Perhaps tell one of your blogging friends when it is that you'll go so we don't worry... :)