Friday, December 07, 2007

Where's Rudolph?

Last night's little expedition in search of Christmas lights turned out well. We didn't stay gone long, but had a good time. My neighbors really put forth an effort this year to outdo themselves.

"I have a house a want to show you," I told Joyce as I drove through midtown. "Traditionally, they always have the grandest display."

We were not disappointed. The Olkos family outdid themselves for yet another year.

"How do they afford their electric bill?" Joyce asked as she giggled like a school girl.

I smiled and said I didn't know. They put up enough lights and displays in their yard to merit their own power plant. It reminded me of Chevy Chase's house in Christmas Vacation.

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love seeing houses like that. Really, if I could, I'd do it too. What can I say? I like tasteful on the inside and 'done' on the outside.

Happy Day Andrew!

Josie Two Shoes said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I'm so glad you got to go out looking at the lights. I love to do that too! And yes, sometimes the really overdone yards are the best, or at least capture our attention! My daughter has been known to raise their electric bill quite a bit in December too. She also climbs up on the roof at night to hang her lights, because she doesn't like people watching her!! :-)

Le Fleur said...

:) There's a house like that around the corner from mine. They always had santa and the riendeer on the roof, but they've just recently added all the characters from Peanuts in the yard. There are always zillions of lights blinking at you when you pass that corner.

Ryan said...

Ah yes, Christmas Vacation. Not as funny as the others, but still memorable.

jacobithegreat said...

you should post a picture of the house!

Rhette said...

Hi Andrew :)
I wish so much you had snow to go with all the decorations you see in your town. Soon you will have your own tree -- I know you can't wait.

I posted the Christmas Spiced Tea recipe on my blog, I already made some, it keeps well.

Have a good day!

Kirs ~

mosiacmind said...

I am so glad that you both enjoyed the lights. I know a few years ago some friends and I went to the wealthy area of the city and WOW were the lights spectacular!

Kelly Jene said...

I'm glad you two had a good time. I love the outrageous houses, it's such a fun sight.

darla said...

Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation" was on TV just last night! I watched it again (for about the 5th time!). I love it!