Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I don't want to believe...

"You're not going to believe this," my nurse said this morning. "I've got to work Christmas."

"Oh Rebecca. That would have to suck," I replied.

Rebecca is the loveliest creature. Sandy blonde hair. Blue Eyes. And a complexion the color of creme. I often sit mesmerized as she prepares my injection, longing for the more romantically avariced days of my youth. She embodies such beauty in the human form.

"Tell me about you," she said preparing my shot. "How have you been doing?"

"I think I am suffering from the negative symptoms of my disease," I replied. "I am having the hardest time motivating myself to do anything. I just sit at home on the computer all day drinking sodas and smoking."

"I am not going to give you a lecture on the smoking," she said as we both nervously laughed.

"Thank you," I replied. "I have read several studies on the relationship of smoking to schizophrenia. It is common in those of us with this disease."

"You ready?" she asked as I meekly stood up and pulled my pants down to the side to expose my left buttock.

"There! All done!" she finally said as I quickly pulled my pants back up.

"You have a Merry Christmas if I don't get to see you before them," I told her.

"Give me a hug," she replied with the warmest smile. "Merry Christmas to you, too!"

I walked out of my doctor's office with the biggest grin on my face. That one hug did more for me today than that much vaunted injection of an anti-psychotic. There was a lightness in my step as I drove back by my father's pharmacy to pick up breakfast and to give him my next appointment card.

13 comments:

Ryan said...

The nurse sounds like a lovely person. She reminds me of a girl I know, probably my soon-to-be girlfriend, if she wasn't a Mormon. Sometimes I hate religion. She hugs me all the time in school and nothing makes her let go. The nurse reminds me so much of her, with the blonde hair and blue eyes and all. Her name's Candy, and she speaks with a slightly American accent xD. I could talk about her forever, but I don't want to spam :P Glad you felt happy today :)

mosiacmind said...

I am happy that the begining of your day started out so well. It is amazing how much even one hug can make one feel better...for sure an lj and some days a bj right?

Portia said...

What a great way to start the day! I've always heard we need at least 3 hugs, along with that one apple a day.

Claudia said...

It's been a while since I've cruised blogs. I missed reading about your life. I caught up on old posts, and am glad you seem to be doing well. Christmas brings me much happiness as well. I love your tree! I can't wait to put mine up. I am in my 9th month of pregnancy, so I am at themercy of my husband to help me decorate the house (which is usually my much enjoyed task). I wish you good health and good spirits in this Christmas season. And for our sakes as a fellow southerner, I wish us colder weather! I don't like warm Christmases!!!

Leon said...

Hugs work wonders! :-D

Mike said...

I’m glad getting your injection turned out to be such a pleasant experience. Hugs make the world go round :)

It is amazing how many people with schizophrenia smoke. I’ve read studies that say it is over 80%.

Josie Two Shoes said...

For once, getting your shot wasn't so dreadful! You are right that hugs and smiles are the best medicine in the world! :-)

Anonymous Boxer said...

I think nurses are angels and I hope she's paid double time for working on Christmas.

I have to agree with Josie - smiles ARE the best medication.

I hope you had a great breakfast.

Kelly Jene said...

Smiles and hugs from truly well meaning people are little treasures. I'm glad she is your nurse. Nurses are wonderful, under-appreciated people.

Kelly Jene said...

Oh, and don't think I didn't notice that you are now 21 days sober. That's three weeks my friend! I am SO proud of you!!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

{{{{{GRINSSSSSSS}}}}}
that's awesome! I hope you had a good breakfast too!!
take care of yourself please!
how's the temps today???
Always,
Crusty~

impromptublogger said...

Yep - 3 weeks that is really awesome!!!! We'll have an online party when you hit one month!

Congratulations!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I like that idea of IB's..to have a party! :)

I'd like to be working on Christmas day after the kids have opened up gifts..LONGggggggggg story......
sigh........
ALways,
Crusty~