Sunday, December 09, 2007

Solitude Interlude

I couldn't sleep tonight. My bout of insomnia found me down at the park near midnight, drinking coffee from my thermos, and enjoying this warm December night. Fog had rolled in off the grand Chattahoochee. Halos of light circled each street light casting an eerie hue. The Cinematic Orchestra played on my mp3 player. All was right in my little world. I sat in the dark for the longest time as a few lonely cars paraded past on the highway. I felt so alive and vibrant.

Talked to Clara last night. She was in good spirits. The sober life is treating her well.

"We're still having our Christmas Eve date, right?" she asked.

"Can it be the eve of Christmas Eve?" I said. "I promised Joyce I would cook a meal Christmas Eve."

"Okay," Clara replied, sounding disappointed, but still excited.

"How are you, doll?" I then asked.

"Oh, I am okay I guess," she replied. "I work all the time and don't have much time to myself. I try to stay busy. I miss you. I miss our friendship."

"I miss you, too," I said. And I did miss her something terribly.

We finally said goodnight and I hung up the phone. Right before bed, Joyce came over to see my Christmas tree.

"Oh, I just love it!" Joyce exclaimed. "I want one now."

"Let me know and we will go get you one," I replied. "I will help you decorate."

"How much did it cost?"

"Only thirty dollars for the tree," I replied. "And the tree stand was twenty dollars."

I think Sunday will find Joyce and I down at Ponder's Nursery buying a Christmas tree. This Christmas spirit can be so contagious.

13 comments:

KYRIE said...

Still awake? The curse of the insomnia :), but still u sound so peaceful in this post.

I love ur tree!! I never ever had a real tree, always the same old fake tree tht seems to be getting thinner over the years:) The tree is nearly as old as me :)

Take care, and sweet dreams!

DewKnight said...

woohoo for insomina and random walks everywhere. that's the best part.

Carter said...

Life sounds great up at Chattahoochee. Merry Christmas!

Blue Gardenia said...

Christmas time is just a real nice time of year. Very nice of you to share your festive decorations with us and with your friends as well. My insomnia is on the opposite end of the night as yours.

forsythia said...

Insomnia?
Coffee at midnight?
Hello?

mosiacmind said...

I hope that you have a great day. I found myself awake a good part of the night too...if we lived close by I would have enjoyed I think drinking coffee at the park.

CJM-R said...

The Christmas spirit is contagious, that is the beauty of it.

Nice of you to offer to help Joyce with her tree. It will lift her spirits, too.

Love the pictures of your home all lit up with Christmas. So peaceful and beautiful.

Have a good day with Joyce, she is so lucky to have you as a friend.

justLacey said...

I am happy to hear that Clara is doing so well. I hope it continues for the rest of her life. Life is to short to struggle so much of it don't you think? I guess it's to make it seem longer than it is.

Summer said...

I couldn't sleep either last night. That's great news about Clara. You played a pivotol role in her life. What a gift you are! If it's ok with Joyce, take a few pictures of her tree too. I'd love to see the happiness spread.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I always start my morning reads with your blog, Andrew, and nothing makes me smile more than knowing you are doing ok. Sounded like the perfect night for an outing. I love how peaceful everything seems in the middle of the night. It's wonderful to read that Clara is doing so well with her sobriety - something you have in common these days! I'm glad you'll be going to see her before Christmas, you'll both enjoy it. It would be so nice of you to help Joyce with a Christmas tree - what a good friend and neighbor you are!

cyotteeflower said...

Good news,
Good neighbor.
Lovely tree,
Lovely friend.
Warm home,
Warm heart.
{{{J}}}

Kelly Jene said...

I'm sorry you deal with insomnia.

Clara's success is wonderful, you should be so proud of her! I'm glad Joyce will get a Christmas tree. I think everyone should have one!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

I really agree with you..after all, bigdogg is jewish and even he is all festive (us) :)...and in the spirit..
very magical!
:)
Always,
Crusty~