Sunday, December 16, 2007

Wind Chill Zero

It was not a good day to be out in the wind. We were having furious gusts with the wind chill below zero. Old Man Winter returned with a vengeance after a record warm spell. Alas, no snow for us. I stayed up all night drinking coffee, smoking Marlboro lights, and watching the weather radar in vain. I was so excited! The temperature is hovering around 37 degrees here. Too warm for winter weather.

This morning I walked down to the rail yard in my warmest clothes. Before we got a divorce, Rachel bought some L.L. Bean flannel lined blue jeans for me. They came in handy today, keeping my legs toasty warm. They were a little tight in the waist though reminding me to get back to drinking diet cola.

I have been very interested in all the activity going on in the rail yard. The prosperous reemergence of the railroads intrigues me. Far gone are the days when railroads were struggling in the 70's and 80's. I have even seen a prominent local railroad advertising on TV lately. That is a good sign they are doing well. I want to see them prosper and thrive. I would also love to see a return in rail passenger traffic. You used to could catch a train in downtown West Point and travel all across this country. Now you have to drive to Atlanta to catch Amtrack -- not the most romantic of options compared to the grand passenger trains before my time.

The cold had chased all the shopping center groupies inside. Only this stalwart soul remained as I sat on a bench with my hands thrust in my warm coat pockets. My cigarillos were particularly enjoyable on this cold day as I sat nursing a piping hot cup of coffee from my thermos. I finally had enough of the cold and had grown lonely so I walked home to watch the weather from the comfort of my very warm house. I could get used to this central heating and air.

11 comments:

Kelly Jene said...

I love walking in the cold too, as long as my hands and ears are warm. Trains are so interesting and have played such a part in our history.

Enjoy your day! Stay warm... geez I haven't had to tell you that before! :)

mosiacmind said...

I was reminded of the train rides I used to take with my mom to go from Ohio to Indiana where most of my relatives live.

justLacey said...

It's cooling off here tonight, though nowhere near what you are experiencing. Enjoy your weather radar and I will cross my fingers for snow for you. I hate windy cold days. It seems to cut right through you.

Cheryl said...

I know you were really looking forward to the snow. It's very cold and the winds are gusting here. My wind chimes are quite loud, a sound I love. Stay warm tonight!

Debbie said...

hope you are warm and all snuggled in on this cold evening!

i have a new blog so check it out!

Summer said...

Trains were a big part of my life growing up. TYM got my train out last night and his. We put his under the tree. He kept asking me how old is your train again? Ha.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
I thought of you when I took bigdogg to the train this morning, and sure as shit an Amtrak trailing train passed by..I haven't seen one of those on our town trains tracks in ages!
Go figure!
Always,
crusty~

Portia said...

I have a pair of flannel lined pants somewhere. They sure are nice to have on those really cold bitter days!

The Little Woman and Hubby said...

This is payback for all that record warm weather last week. :-)

nengaku said...

Hey! I just noticed your counter is getting very close to one month! Woohoo! Congratulations!
We've got all the snow you want up here. If blogger.com gets their system working properly I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Trains are probably the most efficient means of moving things and people from point A to point B (except by sailboat). We need to rebuild the wonderful inter-urban system we dismantled when the Detroit lobby set their sights on it.
Peace

kristel said...

Here in Philippines,we don't have snow......maybe it is a curse from heaven....