Monday, December 31, 2007

Noodles and Sauce

"Is supper ready?" Rosa asked, calling awhile ago. "I am getting a ride over now."

I smiled warmly, saying yes and then hung up the phone. I had just walked to the grocery store and brought home a backpack of succulent food. On the stove, I stir fried some cubed chicken breast, celery, red bale pepper, and broccoli. I boiled some fettuccini with a dash of salt and a dollop of olive oil. Into this mixture went some generous gratings of fresh parmigiano-reggiano along with fresh cream. We were having my homemade version of chicken fettuccini alfredo. It smelled wonderful.

I used to cook like this all the time. Having Rosa encourages me to do this. It gives me a reason to go to all this trouble. I had to borrow the money for groceries from her, though, this morning. I vowed to pay her back.

"God, I am going to gain twenty pounds eating this," Rosa said as we sat at my kitchen table. I patted my belly and smiled. Even Maggie got in on the action getting a little plate of noodles, sauce, and chicken. She was a happy dog. I know she grows tired of her kibbles.

Rosa has settled into watching TV. She is spending the night. I wish I could join her, but I just can't concentrate on the damn boob tube. The same goes for books as well. It is odd that I can read blogs. Writing comes so easy to me for which I am thankful.

It has been a good day. A damn good day amidst many trying days before. Maybe the funks are lifting. Maybe my medications are working. I feel so alive, vibrant, genteel. I want to solve the world's problems and howl at the moon. I want to end suffering. I want to make homelessness obsolete and end hunger. I want to invite over all the lonely alcoholics and schizophrenics and give them a safe and welcoming place to be. I feel like I could take on the world!!!!! I don't want this day to end!!!!

18 comments:

jrlmx2 said...

:o) Happy New Year!

Kelly Jene said...

I wish I was there to give you a giant hug! I'm so happy this has been a good day. That dinner sounds wonderful!!! I love chicken alfredo... yummmmm!

I pray you have a good night and wake with the same feeling tomorrow!

delideli bombon said...

Andrew: Just dropping by to wish you all the best--blessing, happiness and peace--in 2008.

Happy New Year!

Summer said...

Around here, we call that heart attack on a plate and it's TYM's favorite meal. It is so yummy. Happy New Year to you, Rosa and Maggie!

Lara said...

I'm so glad things are looking up again.. I've been worried about you. You and Rosa seem really good together... it's wonderful that things are going better again.

Happy New Year!

C.A. said...

What a lovely post, Andrew. It makes me smile to think of you with a full belly, Maggie prancing around and Rosa firmly ensconced in front of the TV. :) (What does she think of the change from "Court TV" to "TRU TV" starting the 2nd? )

I am wishing you a year of good days just like today...

New Years Hugs...

Cindi Ann

amelia said...

I really hope you and Rosa make it this time!

Happy New Year to you both!!

Cheryl said...

HI Andrew,

What joy to come home and find 1) so many posts from you and 2) to hear you so excited and happy. It really warms my heart. What a way to usher in a new year.

I hope that this is the one that finds you with much happiness and purpose. I look forward to another year of our friendship.

Happy New Year dear friend!

Ellie said...

Happy New Year! May everything bring you happiness from the fresh start!

Whitney said...

"like i could take on the world's problems and howl at the moon." That is love my friend!!

Happy New Year to you.

alyceclover said...

Yum; makes me feel like cooking again.

Marilyn said...

Keep up the good work. Have a great 2008! Cheers :-)

pattycakes said...

happy new year andrew . im glad your back with rosa , have a great evening .things will be better now that you have someone in your life again :)

Le Fleur said...

Happy new year, luv! I think this will be a good year for everyone; I just have this feeling. You be well, be happy and have sweet dreams:)

Eric said...

Keep cooking like that and I guarantee you will have more than alcoholics and schizophrenics and homeless folks at your place as you save the world. I will be right over!

Happy New Year!

Blue Gardenia said...

Rarely can I watch TV. It is an annoying contraption. I will watch DVD's but not an entire movie. With Schizophrenia it often works by just watching scenes from movies on DVDs and just concentrate on the dialogue. When the going gets tough it is hard to read books too and that is what I hate most about it. Happy New Year.

Katie said...

Happy New Year. So glad you're back on your meds and feeling good, that's a great start to 2008 for you.

Mo said...

Happy New Year. Glad you had a good night.

All the best. :)