Thursday, December 06, 2007

Jingle Bells

I've been busily scouring the web today for ideas and inspiration for my Christmas tree.

"You can have anything you want as far as decorations go," my father told me last night. "The Christmas tree will be here next Sunday."

In later years, my parents graduated to frou frou white Christmas lights and color coordinated ornaments. I long for those haphazard ornaments and colored lights of my youth. It was always a special occasion when we would scour the woods in God's country, chop down an evergreen tree, and come home that afternoon to decorate it. As my parent's income drastically increased, these thrifty traditions faded away. They could afford to buy what I thought were pre-made, boxed Christmas trees. They put up a fake tree now! Horror!

"Can I come and pick out the tree?" I asked Dad last night.

"Sure," he said. "I want this to be special for you."

I fell asleep last night dreaming of sitting on the floor in front of my homely Christmas tree with Maggie by my side. Colorful blown glass ornaments sparkled in the multicolor lights. Tinsel gleamed along with the pine pitch smell of a real tree. I am so excited. It is going to be a Merry Christmas in J-ville.

13 comments:

CJM-R said...

Our tree is filled with all those haphzard ornaments. I have rattles and things from when my boys were babies, and of course all their ornaments they made in school. I have saved ornaments my students gave me from years ago.

I like to take out the ornaments and think about the special memories. I don't worry about color schemes!

I am excited for you that you are gong to pick out the tree with your dad. It should be a nice family activity. enjoy.

Peace,
Lena

Josie Two Shoes said...

This post made me so nostalgic for the Christmases of my childhood. I agree, bright multi-colored lights and shiney ornaments, just like we remember! Nothing smells better than a real Christmas tree in the house. I'm excited for you! :-)

Mike said...

That will be a lot of fun picking out a tree and decorating it. There’s nothing like the smell of a fresh Christmas tree!

mago said...

Be careful please when go traveling with Joyce. And by the way, I very much like your counter - gives hope.

Le Fleur said...

We've had a fake tree for a while and this year my mother finally bought the white one she's always wanted; I don't miss real trees because I was usually the one struggling to get the pine needles out of the carpet all year. We still have our multi-colored lights and the bulbs are all over the rainbow. Last year was the last year for our pretty, black angel and I don't know what the topper will be now. Maybe another star?

I'm glad you have your tree to look foward to though. Its the simple things that make us happy. Me? I'm crazy about garland and blinking lights.

simonsays said...

You are going to have the best tree! I am as excited as you to see the pictures I know you will be taking...

:)

Kelly Jene said...

I can't wait for your tree to be there! You know you'll have to put up a picture of it, right? Don't hate me, but we have a fake tree. It was given to us last year by a friend. The cats still chew on it as if it was real. I miss the smell though... ah.. the smell of evergreens. *sigh*

SOUL: said...

glad to see you are in the christmas spirit my brotha!!!!!
and i like those old fashioned-y trees too.
i even like the ole charlie brown trees!
fake tree for us this year.
hopefully our crazy animals won't knock it over!
see ya round...

Me said...

I worked Christmas store for two years, during that time I collected so many ornaments that now my family says my house "pukes" Christmas.

I hope you get the best tree ever, and you find the perfect ornaments for your style.

Cheryl said...

My first tree was covered in red velvet ribbons. My family didn't celebrate Christmas and I'm sure that's why I'm such a fanatic now. I've collected so many ornaments over the years, you can hardly tell there's an artificial tree under all of it. I'm really excited that this is the weekend for you to get your tree and all the ornaments. I wonder how Maggie will react? I hope you have your Christmas music on and your camera ready.

amy said...

I checked in to see how your expedition with Joyce went this evening! I always love checking out the lights in the neighborhood around Christmastime. -Amy

Summer said...

The tree? Tomorrow? Happy Friday!

M said...

at work we put ribbons on the tree. another lady in the office cut off a little bit of ribbon, wrapped it around her finger then pulled it. It makes a curly-Q ribbon. I had never seen this before and it looked good.