Sunday, January 21, 2018

Dining Out?

I was sound asleep yesterday when the phone rang. It jolted me awake and I let loose a moan. Maggie jumped off the bed on full alert. She gets excited when the phone rings. I stumbled to the phone to answer it like a lumbering Frankenstein.

"You were asleep!" my father said regretfully. "I hate I woke you up!"

He knows I am going through a hard time right now getting enough sleep.

"It's alright, dad," I replied. "Don't worry about it."

"I am going out to eat with my neighbors behind me and I thought you would like your Cokes and smokes as you call them. I probably won't get back home until late."

"Yeah, that would be great," I said deliriously.

"I will be over in 15 to 20 minutes."

Dad arrived and I was caught off guard. If I knew he was coming, I would have cleaned the house up some. My kitchen was a mess. Mainly just disorganized with stuff strewn about on the countertops.

"Don't let your kitchen get so bad, son," he told me.

"I would have cleaned up is if knew you were coming in advance," I told him defensively. "It'll take me only 30 minutes to straighten the house up."

Then he looked in my bedroom at my broken full-size bed. Yes, Old Fuss and Feathers frowned.

"I will get Charlie to see about getting you a new bed," he told me.

That bedroom suite of furniture was my fathers when he was a young boy. I slept in that bed countless times visiting my grandmother's farm. It holds a lot of nostalgia for us both.

1 comment:

skinny minny said...

What happened to your bed? Is it fixable or restorable? I am holding onto an all wood dining table because me Dad bought it for me and I love it but he chairs are slowly biting the dust...after almost 25 years of use and storage in the humidity of the south...hoping to find someone to fix my chairs.