Thursday, January 04, 2018

Of Cats and Men...

Joni and her smokes...
My insatiable desire to smoke has almost gotten out of hand. I can't moderate it lately for some damn reason and my craving for beer has been off the scale as well. Dad says I am in addiction mode -- that the chemistry in my brain is in flux. I had told Old Fuss and Feathers to leave a pack of smokes out on his back porch for emergencies. Well, I needed them this afternoon. I drove over to find Samantha sitting at the back door as I grabbed my cigarettes.

"Sweetheart, I do not know the new alarm code or I would let you in," I told her.

Dad just had a new alarm installed.

You could tell she was cold as she was all poofed up fur wise. Dad mustn't been able to get her inside before he left for work this morning.

"Meow," Samantha told me urgently.

"I know sweetheart. There is nothing I can do."

At least it was above freezing. The temperature was 38 °F when I left the house. I sat down on the steps and Samantha crawled into my lap just purring up a storm. At least, she was getting some respite as my lap was warm from sitting in my very warm car. She made herself comfortable. I sat there for what seemed like hours until the cold got ahold of me and I had to leave.

That Damnable Ethernet Device...

My seldom used backup computer wouldn't sleep lately. It was driving me crazy trying to figure out why. I finally figured out why it wouldn't sleep or hibernate as it should. My ethernet device was set to wake it up on a certain event and my recently installed WeatherBug weather program was also keeping it from sleeping.

I opened up the window's command line by pressing the windows key plus the x key and typed this to find out...

powercfg -lastwake

or

powercfg -requests

Windows Media Player was also making network requests so I turned it off as well.

No comments: