Monday, January 15, 2018

Melancholy Me...

Today marks the one year anniversary of the day my mother passed away. I can see it and feel it just like it was yesterday. I had just been over at my parent's house. Mom was in good cheer and sitting on the couch. She told me not to forget my Cokes and cigars as I was headed out the back door. An hour after that, my father called me and said, "Your mother is dead." It took days later for the full emotional impact to hit me. I was stunned. I miss her dearly and all she did for me. If you went to my mother and said you needed something done, you could consider it done that day. If you do the same with my father, it can sometimes be weeks or months for what you asked for to be implemented.

This afternoon my father and I drove to Waverly, Alabama to put some flowers on her grave. It was the first time I had seen the headstone since my father had it placed. It was a quiet ride there and an even more quiet ride back. I told my father I wanted to be cremated and my remains buried next to him and mom.

Life Marches Ever Onwards...


"I'll meet you at the Piggly Wiggly at nine," my father said tonight over the phone.

I actually arrived at 8:45 PM and got started early. It is going to be another breakfast food themed week this week. I bought a thick cut brand of bacon straying away from my "Black Label" brand and we will see how it fares. It will probably take forever to fry to the crispiness I like.

The same cashier I got last week said, "Yes, you like eggs." She had remarked on my egg purchase last week as well.

"Do you think it is going to snow?" the cashier then asked me as we were checking out.

"Oh, it is going to snow. Just how much is the question," I replied to her. "Watch us just get a dusting."

"That would be fine with me!" she exclaimed. "I don't want any snow!"

I was surprised there wasn't a mad dash to the Piggly Wiggly tonight by the citizenry to buy milk and bread. I got my usual four gallons of whole milk and two loaves of Nature's Own honey wheat bread.

I ended up spending $75 dollars tonigiht which was within acceptable parameters.

5 comments:

diana said...

May your mother's memory always be a blessing.

glittermom said...

Such a lovely lady. She was your salvation.

skinny minny said...

I still miss my Dad and don't think that will ever change but it's been ten years now and the overwhelming sadness has for the most part left me. My Dad was my champion and my biggest fan he believed in me in ways no one else does...I think your Mom was the same for you. Hugs and thoughts.
Hope your weather is better than ours....having a "snow" day not going anywhere today and maybe not tomorrow morning either. Car was completely covered in ice earlier and is worse now with the roads getting worse by the minute.

Jane said...

I'm sorry your mom passed on..................it was obvious how much you guys loved each other............i bet you miss her very much!
I like when you write about her. i think it's sweet.

Rita said...

What a tough time, the anniversary of the death of your mother. You will be in my thoughts for several days. Your mom did do a lot and stayed on top of all the family business--the appointments, the medications, and the needs of everyone. This morning it was 9 degrees in Denver, Colorado. It may have been colder before I looked. We had rain that froze and then snow yesterday. There were lots of accidents. The best thing to do when there is not nice weather is to stay home, dress in layers, and drink warm beverages.