Monday, January 22, 2018

As Easy as Sunday Morning...I Hope!

"Dad, it is pouring down rain," I told my father on the phone about eight. "We are going to get soaking wet tonight trying to grocery shop."

"You go on over there at nine and get started. You'll be glad to have it done," Old Fuss and Feathers replied.

Sigh!

It was raining so hard I could barely see to drive on the way to the store. I walked into the Piggly Wiggly to the sound of thunder and got started shopping.

The only thing they didn't have tonight was my Ruth's chicken salad. I got Ruth's pimento cheese spread instead.

I was waiting behind the registers for my father when Mrs. Camille, the manager, got my attention.

"Honey? Come on and we'll check you out and save it in the register until your father gets here," Mrs. Camille said.

In a few moments, we had tallied up all my groceries, loaded my cart again, and I stood to the side with my cart of bagged groceries waiting on my father. I didn't have to wait long.

"I shopped at Kroger every Monday night for years and they never had what I wanted in stock," I told the manager during this idle moment. "Ya'll's store is a lot cleaner and tidier as well."

"There he is," Mrs. Camille said as my father walked through the door. "Sir? You just need to insert your debit card."

"Well, that was too easy," dad said astonished as we hurried to our cars in a pouring rain.

I got absolutely soaked loading my groceries into the back of my Honda. I hurried as fast as I could and almost dropped a gallon of milk. Dad sat in his car next to me until he was sure I was cranked and ready to drive home. Right now, I am waiting for my hair and my pullover to dry. He was right, though. I am glad to have it done. I didn't have a lick of food in this house.

No comments: