Wednesday, January 03, 2018

The Sun Worshiper...


"I've got your Cokes and cigarettes," my father said over the phone this afternoon. "Drive over and get them. I have a hard time finding your brand of cigarettes."

Dad had to go buy more cigarettes and it had been three hours since I last had one so I was slightly uncomfortable and jonesing for a fix. Ah, the rigors of an addict. I was a fool for starting back, but humor this old fool with no lectures. It is what it is.

Thankfully, I was greeted by a very warm car which had sat basking in the sun all day. I cranked up and headed across town reveling in its warmth. It felt wonderful to this old cold natured soul.

"We've got to go get your groceries tonight," dad said with a frown as I walked into the kitchen.

He very clearly did not want to do that tonight. I didn't want to go either to be honest. I abhorred the thought of freezing my ass off in Kroger tonight.

"Hook me up with some food and we will go tomorrow night," I replied chirpily.

Dad gave me an almost full quart of milk, some honey wheat sandwich bread, and some beef bologna.

"Will that get you by?" he asked worriedly.

"That will suit me just fine," I replied. "I have plenty of frosted flakes left. I just didn't have any milk."

I had blessed and lauded the sun earlier, but it was blinding me on the drive home up Cherry drive. Sounds like a lot of religions I can recall.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I'm just north of Pittsburgh. I woke up today to a heat wave, it's 11° out there! Yesterday morning it was -5°!
Stay warm!
Jan