Thursday, September 13, 2018

To the Manor Born…

There was a jovial mongoloid lady named Angie that lived across the street when I was a child. She had the sweetest disposition. She would tell me I was her real mother and not Martha, and it worried me deeply. She said she had me with the weatherman on channel 3. She would grab me to hug me with my face smothered in her very ample bosom. Dad thought this was the most hilarious thing he had ever heard at the time. Well, it antagonized me.

Dad evoked these memories when he started to talk about it this morning.

“Well, your real mother passed away yesterday,” he told me. “She was fifty three. I guess it is too late for a maternity test.”

I thought that was astonishing for a person with Down’s Syndrome to live so long.

Dad then asked me if I were going to my mother’s visitation and funeral.

“Martha was my mother,” I replied huffily – all those childhood memories came flooding back.

My father heartily laughed and laughed some more and almost got choked on the diet Coke he was drinking. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you were well loved as a child!

Jennifer <3

Sharyn said...

I'm sure she was a nice lady. I am amazed at her age because when I was little, my friend had a new born sister with Down's. THAT girl would have been around 53 now, had she lived. I remember the talk because it was so sad. "Poor Edith! You know that retarded baby is going to die before it's 5". And she lived to be 3.

Since then, I have had the honor of speaking to one of the moms from Born This Way. She never doubted her daughter would do great things, just different great things.

But I can see how a woman with Down's being very fond of you and being demonstrative about it. With your anxiety issues, it probably bothered you very much.

Sharyn said...

Got me thinking. Here is a weird phenomenon that maybe Glitter Mom will understand but you will think creepy and be glad it will never happen to you.

Some of us do not like to be touched. Especially by strangers. Huggers drive me nuts. But when you are pregnant, your belly becomes public domain. Complete strangers gravitate toward it and don't even ask as they firmly put both hands on your belly. Some will even reach under your maternity top like they know you!

It is weird and freaky!! But it happens everyday....LOL