Monday, January 28, 2008

Dark Clothes; Darker Hearts

Dad had been to the funeral home tonight.  A friend of the family which I only knew vaguely had passed away amid great suspicion at an early age.

"It was so sad," my father told me as he handed me my nightly Benadryl.

I sat as Dad listened to the state of the union address on the TV carefully getting each Benadryl out of their container.  I popped them into my mouth.

"I didn't just see you take all six did you?" Dad asked.

"I need it to sleep," I replied. "And you grow resistant and tolerant to them over time."

Dad laughed. 

"You and your mother," he said. "Your mother took six Xanax the other night and was so drunk her tongue sounded thick."

I laughed nervously, hoping he wouldn't get on to me.  Sometimes you just need to take something to feel better.  For me, it is to escape the world.  I will sleep like a baby after taking those pills only to wake up about 4 or 5 AM in the morning.   

Joyce has been doing strange things.  She sits out in her car in the sun for hours smoking Marlboros as she listens to the radio.  She also spent a long time trimming her shrubbery today only to not make any progress.  I am worried about her. 

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Amid great suspicion? What does that mean?

Barb said...

Does confronting Joyce in a non judgemental way work? Ask her if she has been compliant to her Medication plan. A lack of compliance may indicate why she has been doing what she is doing.

B~

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Have a happy day.

PipeTobacco

Tee said...

Check on Joyce to see if she is taking her meds. Perhaps you might want to "help" her get them down each day, kinda like the help you get from your Dad. :-) That's what good neighbors like you are for.

Sharyna said...

I'd check on Joyce. Is she taking her meds? Just not making progress on the shrubry shouldn't be a sign of anything, I do stuff like that all the time. Remember, you're always welcome over at my blog...

sharyna

CRUSTYBEEF said...

70 days, day by day..you're doing well!
Sincerely,
Elizabeth

Rock dweller said...

Hi Andrew,
I am back.. I took a long break to think about things that were happening in my life. I find it very admiravle that you are able to talk about your diagnosis so openly. I used to be a regular vistor to your blog. And now I am back. Talk to you soon, Roxy