Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dressed Up with Somewhere to Go

Rosa took extra care in dressing up this morning and wanted me to notice it.  She even put on some makeup -- something she never normally wears.  I picked her up at her house after dropping her off earlier and we went for breakfast. 

"You look nice," I told her as we drove in the car.

She just smiled and reached out for my hand.  I remarked how nice it is to have someone to love.  Far too many times in my life I was alone.  Looking back on my life as an alcoholic and someone riddled with mental illness marks many years spent alone when I think about it. 

"We still going tomorrow?" Rosa asked of my journey to vocational rehabilitation.

"Around lunch time," I replied.  "I have an AA meeting at 12."

We went to Krystal's for breakfast.  I have found their sausage biscuits to be preferable to all the other fast food places.  I also got an employment application while we were there. 

"You gonna work at Krystal's?!?!" Rosa asked incredulously as we got back in my car.

I laughed and said, "I will take any old job.  I just want to work.  I want a new computer and a stereo for my car."

"I can't see you working in a fast food place," she replied.

"Beggars can't be choosers," was what I responded with.

Tonight is a 6 PM AA meeting.  I am looking forward to going.  Charlie is also grilling steaks and told me he would bring Rosa and I a plate for supper.  His steaks are the best.  He makes this special basting sauce with A-1 and butter.  I can't wait.  Well, I am off to compulsively refresh The Homeless Guy's blog waiting on an entry.  He hasn't written in almost a week.  I fear he quit his job with his first paycheck and took off to Las Vegas to live in the shelter there. 

2 comments:

Rhette said...

Andrew,
You sound SO HAPPY! I'm glad that you have Rosa -- someone around now to laugh, talk & love, this is wonderful!

It's nice to read how excited you are about attending meetings & wanting to get a job :)

I hope your day is super. I will pray you land a job real soon. My best to Rosa & precious Maggie.

Enjoy your steak dinner tonight, sounds like your entire day is full of all good things ... yay for you - Happy Sunday!

mosiacmind said...

sounds like a really good morning. i hope the rest of your day is goodl NOT trying to tell you what to do but if a job open seems like it would be stressful to you just encourage you to look for a job that you would like and not too stressful to you.from one job seeker to another.