Sunday, January 20, 2008

Wandering Amidst the White...

I took a long walk tonight well past my bedtime.  It was a winter wonderland walking through my quaint little southern town as I trudged down past the town square.  The hush and still of a snow covered world was so palpable and comforting.  It was as if my world was covered by a soft, thick blanket.  Mute. Quiet. Calm. White as snow. Virgin, almost.  It could have been a scene on a Christmas postcard.

I stopped by to see my favorite convenience store clerk on my way home. He was telling me tales of our various town (rednecks) inhabitants in their big four-wheel-drive trucks.  "I've sold enough Budweiser tonight to boost Anheuser Busch's stock price," he told me, laughing. I chuckled along as I drank my hot chocolate and smoked my cigarillo.  I was almost jealous of my redneck brethren.  They were having so much fun, and a four-wheel-drive romp in the snow would have to beat the local mud hole.  Country music blarin'.  Empty cans of Budweiser rattling around in the truck bed.  Marlboro's dangling from mustached lips. 

We ended up with only an inch of the white stuff, but what fun it was.  I thought it was a fitting gift from the weather gods that be for it to snow on my sixtieth day of sobriety -- something terribly rare this deep south -- almost as rare as my extended period of sobriety.  It was also a milestone in that I didn't have to get sloshed to enjoy the snow.  I enjoyed it sober.  Lucid.  Alert.  Content, most of all. 

Rosa was asleep in the bed when I arrived home.  I popped open a diet coke and sat on the side of the bed as I took off my pants, shoes, and socks.  I reached over and brushed the hair out of Rosa's face, and then petted Maggie.  Rosa didn't stir.  Maggie looked up as if she was smiling with that under bite. "Glad you're coming to bed," she seemed to impart.   "Let me go write about this," is what I thought as I sat in front of this computer and started this tale. I felt so good, grounded, and alive. I felt like there was hope left in the world.  It has been a very pleasant day and now I hope sweet dreams await.  Good night or should I say good morning? Au revoir will have to suffice.      

13 comments:

hensteeth said...

I'm glad you got your lovely blanket of snow. And I'm glad it brought you contentment.

(You caught me, I tend to be a night owl.)

amypalko said...

Congratulations on hitting another sobriety milestone, Andrew. You are doing so well! Keep up the good work :-)
As for the snow, I'm so pleased for you that it finally came. I hope you enjoy it while it lasts. I certainly enjoyed reading about it!

justLacey said...

I think you have the ability to enjoy things more now that you are sober. How much do you really remember of the "fun" you had wnen you were drunk? Only the drunk part is my guess. Your memories now will be sharp and clear and in your heart forever. Enjoy your snow Andrew, and enjoy your sobriety as well.

forsythia said...

A White Christmas after all. So what if it is nearly one month late. What a wonderful Christmas gift you've given yourself....60 days of sobriety.

mosiacmind said...

I am so glad that you got some snow. I hope that you really enjoy it. It is very very cold here...it is right now as I type 3 degrees and that is not including the wind chill factor. I am dressed in several layers on my top half and then wearing fleece lined pants and such for when I leave today to go to church. I am so glad for many reasons but on days like today glad that I go to a casual church where people can come as is....

jrlmx2 said...

I have to add my hearty congratulaitons, Andrew, for 60 days and running! I think you're discovering sobriety and contentment are much more fun than you expected. blessings to you.......

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

60 is cool!!!!

you know, the relationships formed in aa meetings, replace the urge to 'hang' with dodgy drinking types from the past. ie a bunch of reformed 'dodgy drinking types' to hang out with in meetings and what have you. So those friendships will help the next time you are tempted to join in with redneck types (or any other drinking types) the social element is very important in recovery. or 'fellowship' as it is known as..

Tee said...

The snow has been a real treat for us southerners. We are in the deep freeze now. It's 20 degrees on my porch. 61 days and going strong. Way to go!

abbagirl74 said...

There is a park I love walking through after the first sticky snow. It's heaven on earth. Perhaps one day I will take pictures of it. I probably won't get another chance this year, but we can always hope.

I am so proud of you Andrew. You have become so strong! Keep up the good work on your sobriety!

Sharyna said...

I love your rendition of snow. Almost romantic. Did I mention that I check your blog several times a day for new writings? No pressure there! lol Keep up the good work...

sharyna

Iludium Phosdex said...

Meanwhile, up here in Minnesota, things have been rather cold in the extreme, and then some, this weekend.

No doubt requiring me to stay in my apartment and find ways to try and stay sane all along.

Including blogging.

(For the record, it was -15 here in Winona @ sunrise this morning.)

Mike said...

Snow and sobriety! How wonderful, Andrew. And I love your description of the snowy silence. It is an experience I'm fond of, and you really captured it well in your writing.

shy_smiley said...

We don't see snow much in Tucson, either, but it snowed about an inch a year ago and I still haven't forgotten it. Another five or so years will pass before it snows again. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and sober, too! Keep fighting the good fight.