Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Day the Dog Came Home...

Dearest Summer asked how Maggie came to be with me. It is an endearing tale of a forlorn dog's luck. My father would walk everyday out at the rest area on the interstate. One day, he passed by a dumpster and heard a dog whining. He looked in and a puppy was sitting in the stifling heat of July amidst the trash. Someone had thrown a puppy into that dumpster to rid themselves of her. He rescued her and brought her to me. My mother named her Maggie and she quickly warmed our hearts. Maggie was in bad shape when I got her though. She was eaten up with fleas and her fur was matted and dirty. It took a three hundred dollar veterinarian bill to whip her into shape. "That dog won the Georgia lottery when he got y'all as owners," my veterinarian would jokingly say in a heavy Southern accent to my mother one day.

Writing this makes me want to go find Maggie and love on her some. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

10 comments:

Lynette said...

What a lucky discovery your father made that day.

justLacey said...

Seems to me you have both been blessed...

Rhette said...

I KNEW Maggie was so special. Thank you for sharing your story, I am in awe!

You (you & your family) are good people, that's all I know, you are just darn GOOD people!

CJM-R said...

How lucky for Maggie to be rescued and to end up with you. What a heart warming story.

Lena

Summer said...

This makes me smile and cry a little at the same time. How wonderful for all of you to have Maggie Girl in your lives. Thank you Sweet Pea for telling me/us her story.

Kevin said...

sad that someone would do that to a puppy, but awesome that you and your family have taken such good care of her. i'm sure the universe smile's on you for it :)

mosiacmind said...

i was wondering how maggie got you...you know tugged at your heart. it is so sad her beginings in the dumpster. i am so glad that your dad rescued her and you took her in and now you guys are buddies.......: 0 )

Debbie said...

maggie ine lucky girl!

Debbie said...

i meant to say....maggie is one lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

Your father regularly takes walks at a rest stop on the interstate? Okay now I'm certain he's a closeted gay. How do I know? Well, I'm gay and that was what I did years ago to hook up with men. Have you heard of Governor McGreevy from New Jersey? He also writes in his book that he too did that.

I think it explains a lot of the anger your father has. He's a closeted gay man trapped in a sexless marriage with a woman who by your own admission has serious psychological problems, and he takes it out on you.