Thursday, January 31, 2008

Freedom!

I carefully navigated my way towards God's country.  It was a long, comforting drive as I listened to National Public Radio, drank green tea, and enjoyed a pungent cigarillo.  I realized how much I have missed this freedom -- the freedom to drive and the freedom of having a reliable car.  I vowed to never take it for granted again as I pulled back into my driveway, carefully locking my car, and putting the key in my pocket.  I stood for a moment admiring my car before heading inside. 

Now my attention turns to getting Rosa involved in this kind of freedom.  Rosa had some money come via check and we are looking for her a used car.  Something reliable.  An older model of Japanese make.  I found a late model Toyota Corolla, but it has a lot of miles.  Rosa is excited and will buy anything at this point.  I have had to temper her exuberance.  Hopefully, we will be able to find something soon.  I am afraid she is going to buy any old beater just to get on the road. 

4 comments:

ac said...

It's nice of you to take Rosa under your wing and help her with car shopping. Good luck finding her the perfect car!

Tee said...

Andrew, if you shop well you can find something like a Corolla that will serve her well. My niece had one that she traded with 150,000 miles, but she had kept it maintained all those miles and if we had known she was going to buy a new Rav 4, we would have bought her Corolla. If you have a mechanic you can trust, have them check the car out before she buys it. There are people out there that inspect vehicles, just like home inspectors, for people who are in the market for a used car. You might want to have anything she buys inspected, it will probably cost her about $100, but well worth that little investment. Good hunting. Rosa is so fortunate to have you to help her, women are so vulnerable in the auto arena, mainly because we just don't know about cars.:-( Look at www.autotrader.com there are hundreds of vehicles on there, you can look by zip code, make, model, price range. Good website.

Tee said...

I forgot to say, good for locking your car and putting the key in your pocket. My husband lost his key to our Mustand and I just about went nuts because we didn't know where or who might find it. Well, Sunday morning when he was dressing for church he came in the kitchen and said, "look what I found". There he stood with the lost key, it was in the pocket of a pair of slacks. Do you know how much it costs to replace a key and fob? Try $150.00 from the dealer. I'm just glad we have that lost key in OUR possession.

Sharyna said...

Rosa is lucky to have you help her buy a car. I hope she finds something reliable.

sharyna