Friday, January 25, 2008

Of Higher Powers that Be...

Charlie had arrived just as I pulled up from my AA meeting.  He was walking in my yard talking on his cellphone.  I invited him inside as he hung up. 

"How was your meeting?" he asked as we sat down in my den.

"We talked about finding a higher power of our understanding and how important that is to getting sober," I replied.

"Oh, I don't believe in all that metaphysical shit," my friend Charlie told me as he laughed.

I smiled and chuckled as well.

"I use the AA group as a whole as my higher power," I told him. "A collective kind of God."

"Do atheists get sober?" Charlie quipped.

"They do indeed," I replied. "They even have twelve step meetings for agnostics and atheists in big cities like New York."

Charlie just adores Maggie and made a big fuss over her as his attention was swayed.  He can't get over how sociable Maggie is these days.  She was a very scary dog when I first got her.

I took my medications and was sad to see Charlie leave.  I really look up to the man.  Me and Maggie watched from the window as his Chevrolet pulled away and down the street.  It is about time for bed and Maggie is already curled up in the covers.    

8 comments:

Terroni said...

Time for bed for me, too.
Oh how I'd love to be curled up with a big, friendly dog.

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Charlie does indeed seem a nice fellow.

PipeTobacco

Kevin said...

what was maggie like before you got her? now from the photos she seems like such a happy dog.

Summer said...

Yes, tell us about Maggie before you came into her life. Did you get her as a puppy? And Charlie, what does he do for a living? Does he have a family? How long has he been friends with your family?

I'm nosy.

Tee said...

Yes, do tell us Maggie's story. And Charlie's as well. :-)

Barb said...

Kudos to you for the outcome of last night. I read with fear...and smile at it's outcome. You are finding your way with such clearity and confidence. I am extremely proud of you, as I share the opinion with so many of your readers.

B~

nengaku said...

EXCELLENT!
Peace

mosiacmind said...

Charles sounds like a really nice man. I think your evenings go better when he comes over instead of your dad to give you your medications. Just wanted to say hi to you also. Good for you for going to a meeting too.