Friday, April 11, 2008

Between a Rock and a Hard Space...

I had several calls to make at work once arriving. Everybody seemed no worse for wear with regards to me and yesterday so I escaped quickly to my office, made the calls, and sat relieved that was done. What was on my mind was Joyce. Just as I left for work, she came walking outside holding her head and crying something pitifully. "I'll be home soon," I told her trying to soothe what mentally ailed her. I felt at a loss and had to go, though. "Call your sister!" I then emphatically exclaimed as I rolled up my window and drove off. "Why does work trump someone in need?" I kept thinking on the drive to the pharmacy feeling dirty, unwashed. It was one of the few times I most definitely felt between a rock and a hard space. Trapped. Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. I just couldn't be late for work after leaving early the previous day.

2 comments:

justLacey said...

Work usually trumps someone in need because we depend on it to live. That is how I feel when I have to leave a crying child to go to work. It's awful isn't it? i haven't had to do it with my youngest 2, but I did with my oldest daughter. It was hard and sometimes she was sick. It sucks and I will hate having to do it again.

glittermom said...

is there someone you can call for Joyce? Someone whos aware of her problems that can at least call her and try to calm her..IT seems her family isn't involved enough with her...