Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I'm Fine...

"Feeling better?" one of the girls just asked me.

"I'm fine," I replied as she walked out of my office.

I keep having to remember that asking that is just one of those pleasantries of relationships.  "We really don't want to know how you're doing," I thought as I turned back to the invoice I was trying to make sense of.

Luckily, Dad is back in town.  He knows full well what I go through a few days before my injection.  I just leaned back in my chair to look at him filling prescriptions down the hall.  It is comforting to know he is home.

Earlier in the day I called Dad about the money.

"Let's wait until your injection," he said.

"Okay," I replied as I hung up feeling relieved.

We are both buying time.  I've felt worried today that I have so little self control that I will be standing in Fred's dollar store buying a dollar pack of those little pink pills in a few days.   I am not worried about drinking at all.  Drinking even seems unpleasant to me today.  Dad still thinks I am going to turn back into that unruly drunk man we managed to change a year ago through sheer determination.  

3 comments:

Diane Vogel Ferri said...

I don't know all you past since I just started reading your blog - but I really admire what you've done, what you've made it through - really, I do.

Cheryl said...

One thing about the friends we make here...we really do want to know how the other is doing. I love your honesty, Andrew.

Kelly Jene said...

After 147 days you have earned the right to not be suspected. You've done so well! Your dad will see, don't worry.

I really want to know how you are, that's why I come to visit you here!