Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ode to Charlie...

Charlie is my father's bestest friend.  They have known each other since the early seventies.  My father was working for Greene's Drugs and Charlie came in with questions about his son.

"He's autistic," my father told Charlie.

Dad was the first person to correctly diagnose Charlie's son.   They grew to be fast friends and Randall later learned to speak with my help.  Charlie says my interaction with Randall from an early age brought him out of his shell.  I always beam when Charlie says that, and he tells me often.

All three children being me, my brother, and my sister would go to Charlie before our own relatives if something happened.  We feel that close to him.  He is, for all intents and purposes, the brother my father never had.    

6 comments:

CRUSTYBEEF said...

you don't have to blood related to be considered family! That's for sure! What a wonderful lifetime friendship..that's something valuable and not very common now days!

Very very refreshing!
Always,
Elizabeth

CRUSTYBEEF said...

whoops, I forgot to say, you don't have to be..I forgot the TO BE part!

Always,
E

Leann said...

It's nice that you have someone to go to if needed.

I laughed when I read the twitter on Maggie's shit fit..LOL

Tee said...

This is a really outstanding post. A great tribute to a great friend. It is so wonderful when we form relationships with people for life. They are like family. I have a theory--God gives us our relatives so we know how to choose our friends.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Awww
Thanks for sharing!

lovely post!

mago said...

A second father you could say.