Saturday, April 12, 2008

Depressive Tendencies...

I think it is natural for someone who struggles with mental illness to become dour and depressive. I have to fight it on a daily basis -- for this blog and for my own sanity. Things I tell myself daily...

  • I could be in jail. I drank and drove for years almost habitually. Sheer luck saved me.
  • I think of the Jews and what they went through with the holocaust and realize I am one of the most blessed men on earth. I have a home, a loving dog, food, medical care, a loving family that is intact and not persecuted.
  • Moments of sanity are a blessing. I am thanking my lucky stars today that I am lucid, calm, and mentally together. I've had some brushes with insanity the past few days that have sobered me up and made me realize I am not out of the woods yet. Revel in these moments of sanity and drink them in to the fullest!
  • Seeing Joyce naked yesterday and cursing God in a fit of madness really hit home how tenuous our sanity can be. Take your medications!

14 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Ah bless you Andrew. you cheer me up you know. I love listening to you talk about gratitude. you are an inspiration. for me anyway.
Thanks for sharing!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Hey Andrew!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear ANDREW!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

36 is COOL. That alcohol free lifestyle will be like a FREE face lift in years to come! 'God's beauty parlor' they call it..
hehehee

The pie for breakfast sounded REALLY good!

leslie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I HOPE YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT DAY!

mosiacmind said...

happy birthday dear friend...i hope that you continue to do things that you want to do today...maybe go to a meeting what a great way to celebrate your birthdy with your sobriety...take great care of yourself today!

mosiacmind said...

happy birthday dear friend...i hope that you continue to do things that you want to do today...maybe go to a meeting what a great way to celebrate your birthdy with your sobriety...take great care of yourself today!

P said...

A very HAPPY, albeit quiet, birthday to you!!

mosiacmind said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

mosiacmind said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

CJM-R said...

Happy Birthday to you and may the dear Lord bless you!

Lena

Sharyna said...

I caught that. It's your birthday!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I also caught that the HomelessGuy is playing a video game, Secondlife. Weird, huh.

sharyna

justLacey said...

Oh happy birthday. It's been a long struggle and yet here you are, all through another year. I hope you have a calm and peaceful day.

Cheryl said...

I feel so bad that I forgot your birthday. I will put a card in the mail. Happy Birthday dear friend!

I'm so sorry for what's happening with Joyce. You really did all you could. I know you wish you could save her, but know you can't.

I'm really glad you have Twitter. I love seeing your updates. I'm so glad that you're feeling so much better!

Tee said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! What a difference a year makes. Another year older and SOBER for this birthday! How exciting. What great strides you have made this past year, you have MUCH to celebrate. Keep it up dear friend!

villain820 said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you had a good day.