Thursday, April 24, 2008

Tempted By The Darkside...

It has been a really long time since I have been tempted to drink.  Far too long to remember the last time.  I was tempted this morning as I sat with Big S and Ferret in front of the convenience store run by the middle eastern men. 

"One drink ain't gonna hurt ya!" Ferret exclaimed as we sat there on the curb.

He pulled out a malt liquor bottle from his backpack and pushed it towards me.

"One drink.  Try it," he said.

I didn't drink it, though.  I pushed the bottle away.  I was more interested in Ferret's new apartment in the same apartment complex as Rosa. 

"My grandfather is paying my rent," he told me.

"So, your disability money goes to beer?" I asked.

"Yeah, that is about right," Ferret said.

I chuckled.  One of the nice things about Ferret is his honesty.  He will tell you like it is. 

It was so good to hang out with the gang again.  This gives me some purpose to life.  I know they are not the most outstanding friends, but they are my friends none-the-less.  They accept me for who I am faults and all. 

6 comments:

PipeTobacco said...

Sir:

Congratulations! I think it is grand that you are seeing some of your old friends again.

Perhaps seeing George and/or his Mother would also be pleasant for you.

Here is hoping the rest of your day is grand also.

PipeTobacco

skinny minny said...

Be careful. Great that you didn't drink but be careful. The more we are around our addictions the more likely we are to give in again. I think dogs have good days and bad just like we do. Sometimes low energy because of the weather too.
Have a great day!

jrlmx2 said...

way to go, Andrew! 156 days is nothin' to sneeze at.... we're proud of you for making a good decision there. Maggie is SO cute... even depressed!

villain820 said...

Congrats on the 156 and holding to it!!

mosiacmind said...

I hope that you continue to take great care of you....only you can know if by hanging out with some buddies and at the mall will tempt you to use. I would like to encourage you to really think about it. I think too if I were you and wanting to hang out more I would up the meetings that I go to so you can keep up the sober life that you are doing so so well at. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog...I always smile when I see one from you.

CRUSTYBEEF said...

proud of yourself.
always,
elizabeth :)