Monday, April 21, 2008

I don't wanna grow old...

"Don't you want to live until 95?" one of my father's employees asked me this morning in criticism of my smoking.  I was down at the pharmacy getting a coke after a morning drive.  I just had to get out of the house.

Well, Dad could see it visibly perturbed me.  I was walking out the door when he grabbed me and pulled me to the side.

"She didn't mean anything by it," he said. "She just likes you.  She wants what's best for you."

"I've just had so many people in my life telling me how to live.  My blog.  You and mom. Rosa.  It is discouraging and it grows old."

Dad gave me a hug and told me to grin and bear it. 

"And no.  I wouldn't want to live to be a decrepit old ninety year old," I finally retorted.

Dad burst out laughing. "Now that is the Andrew I know and love.  You were always fierce."

I got in my Honda and drove home.  Seriously, I've had enough criticism in my short life to last a lifetime.  I am frankly tired of it.  I don't find it funny or endearing.  I just want to be left alone to live my life as I see fit. 

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Good for you! There's nothing wrong with setting boundaries for people, and acknowledging when they're wrong. Keep sticking up for yourself! There are many of us who admire and believe in you.

BPD in OKC said...

I try to avoid much of the criticism I get. You have to live your life how you want to. You can't live your life how someone tells you to.

CJM-R said...

Don't we all!

Barb said...

Dig that Andrew!

B~

Marsha said...

Unfortunately when you put your whole life out there for others to read, and have a comment section, you must expect some negative feedback.

If all you want are "atta boys" then maybe blogging isn't for you.

I enjoy reading your blog. But don't expect me to give you a pat on the back for destructive habits you talk about such as being addicted to benedryl.

You need help. Why won't these other commenters or "friends" here try to HELP you? They give you props for being sober for so long but you've transfered your addiction from one thing to another. You're hurting your body!

Sharon said...

Sometimes the best help isn't telling someone what they're doing wrong, but pointing out the things they're doing RIGHT.

Marsha said...

All the while they are harming themselves....yeah, that'll work.

As Dr. Phil would say, "How's THAT working for ya?"

You don't have to be negative while trying to help. You could always encourage him to seek help for his addiction. Isn't encouragement positive?

...