Monday, April 28, 2008

One Caring Soul to Another...

"I love you, son," my father told me in my office a moment ago. "I know you've thought I've been hard on you and I have.  You were going to kill yourself.  You were dying drink by drink."

I grabbed Dad and hugged him. "Thank you so much.  Thank you for caring."

My father left my office to go back to filling prescriptions.  I hadn't felt so happy in a long, long time.  "He loves me," I kept thinking.  There was a time in my life that I thought I was irredeemable in my father's eyes. 

When I was drinking and carrying on, I got a lot of feedback from my family about how terrible I was doing.  It was constant.  Things got quiet though when I sobered up.  The accolades were few and far between.  Everyone waited with abated breath about how far I could make it.  I think they are now starting to realize that I am sober for the long haul.

A moment ago, I walked out and got a thank you card from the pharmacy's card rack.  I am going to send dad a formal card of thanks in the mail.  I owe him my life and my sobriety.  Without him I would be just some nameless homeless drunk in a big city. 

14 comments:

jrlmx2 said...

I'm so proud of you, Andrew.
6 months is on the horizon....
WAY TO GO, MAN!
blessings to you.......

CJM-R said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for stopping by today. I enjoy your comments so much.

This is a wonderful post. Your dad did the best he knew how to try to help you get back on track.

Getting him a formal card is a wonderful idea. I am sure it will touch his heart.

I am so proud of you and happy that you have a family that cares so much about you.

When you are doing so well, it just warms my heart.

Lena

BPD in OKC said...

I'm so happy that you're father thought to tell you that he loves you. It really helps when you know someone loves you no matter what you've done in the past. Be proud of yourself. I think you're doing great.

Brad said...

That is so cool. And the card is a great idea. You sound 'up' today. That makes me smile. Give Maggie an extra pork rind for me.

C.A. said...

That must have just made your heart SING! :) Be sure to give yourself some credit in there too, my friend. You've worked so hard and come such a long way. I'm proud of you!


C.A.

justLacey said...

I knew your dad loved you and how much all along. If he didn't care he wouldn't have bothered. He would have let you drink yourself to death. The reason he was so hard on you is that it is very difficult to watch your child destroying themselves. We are all proud of you.

SOUL: said...

it's great to hear this andrew-- i know how much it means to you.
i hope you have a great evening-

mosiacmind said...

What a sweet conversation for you and your dad to have.I think a card is such a sweet idea too. It sure helps when people like us who struggle with drinking and drugging and mental illnesses have friends and family who care. I hope that you have a good evening. Reading your post made me smile for you.

Kelly Jene said...

What a heart warming post! I'm so happy that you and your father are doing so well.

I hope you know how proud of you I am. 160 days... wow!!

Leann said...

I hope you are as proud of yourself as we all are of YOU. You are awesome!!

Mary said...

You're a thoughtful son to think of sending a card. Your father will treasure it for years to come.

villain820 said...

The card is a great idea. You are very lucky to have a family that cares for you. You are doing great - 160!

CRUSTYBEEF said...

beautiful!!
it's nice to have a feeling of acceptance and love, isn't it?
happy days ahead for you friend!
Always,
Elizabeth

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Cards like that are really special. he will treasure it. what a wonderful ! gift from the heart. that stuff i priceless. its what we are here for. to love each other.

i knew he loved you too. you can just tell he does. he really cares about you. and it goes without saying we are all really proud of you too. good work my friend!