Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Interesting Creatures...

My parents leave for Houston in the morning.  Atlanta's Hartsfield International is a hour drive from their house.  Every Friday we (mom and me) go buy my groceries.  For the longest time mom would go for me when I was having my panic attacks.  I soon realized I needed to start going to buy nutritious and healthier food.  I was basically eating microwave meals two times a day when mom was buying my food. 

Well, mom is in a tizzy over me not being able to get my groceries this Friday.  According to my father, she has called his pharmacy four times today wondering if she should take me this afternoon. 

"Wouldn't this just be so much easier if you would just give me eighty dollars to go buy groceries," I told my father a moment ago.

"Too soon," he replied. "It would just be too tempting for you.  I don't want you to buy beer."

It gets to the point that it is almost comical, this keeping me from money.  Everything turns into this great, gargantuan effort to do anything for me.  Add my obsessive compulsive mother to the mix and things get incredibly complicated. 

14 comments:

Marsha said...

You know, he could always give you the money, let you buy the groceries, take the change and the receipt and check what you bought....that is, if he wants to continue to control you the way he's does.

Just a thought.

Irishcoda said...

It can be annoying but your parents love you and are just trying to look out for you...but I do agree it gets to be comical at times. And congrats on your 140 days staying sober!

mosiacmind said...

I have an idea..would it work for your dad to give the money to his friend who brings you the medications when your dad is gone and then you could go shopping? or if that does not work go with him to the store..just an idea.

glittermom said...

If your dad doesn't give you a chance how will he ever know if you can be trusted..

Marsha said...

I don't think his dad wants to trust him. It's easier to say he can't handle it and keep a firm grip on the situation.

Kelly Jene said...

Your mom is such a sweetie. And hey, happy 140 days!!! That is awesome!!

Tee said...

When your Mom gets back from her trip, ya'll need to shop on Wednesdays. Kroger gives a senior citizens discount (please don't tell her I called her a senior citizen) on Wednesday that will save you a few dimes. I ALWAYS shop to get the discount, now that I'm eligible.

Look at you 140 Days!!!! That is wonderful.

AlabamaGal said...

I imagine the drama is comical at times. Seriously, I think it is time for a workable resolution. Why can't you go with somebody and buy groceries or better yet, he could get one of those pre-loadable (prepaid) credit cards and load an amount on it and then you can give him a copy of the reciept and purchase your own groceries. You have your freedom of choice of yummy things to eat and in the process prove to him that you can be trusted and that he needs to chill out a bit. :)

I had my voc rehab appt today and I was pleasantly surprised. They were positive and are getting my medical records to see that I am eligible for support. I am gathering up hs and college transcripts and beginning to be optimistic about perhaps entering a med transcription program! :)

((hug))
Michelle

Cheryl said...

I wonder how your father will know when the time is right? I'm sure it's a dilemma for him. He wants to trust you but doesn't want you to be tempted and use the money the wrong way. At some point he'll have to trust you, as you'll have to trust yourself.

mago said...

140 and counting!
Very impressive, Andrew.

Leann said...

140........WOW......good for you Andrew!!

Hope you get the grocery issue worked out before they leave.

Blessings
Leann

Jessica said...

I'm glad you're doing so well! 140 days...that's so awesome. I know your parents are looking out for you, but I do think your dad needs to trust you a bit more. He needs to let go a bit. Hope you're having a good evening! :)

ac said...

You're doing so well!!!!

I'm so proud of you! ac

C. R. Morris said...

After reading your blog for quite a while, I noticed that you said at one point, "maybe Dad was right.." And now you feel like you don't even have a mental illness. Stick with him because he really cares and look how good you're doing. Hang in there, it will be well worth it.