Saturday, February 18, 2017

Ashes to Ashes and Dust to Dust...

It was a quiet ride back up the interstate to the Chattahoochee Valley. My father and I had just been to a somber funeral where many tears were shed. It can really tug on your heartstrings to see so many friends in anguish. "Hugs for everybody!"

Part of the drive was showing my father things about his car he din't know. Hell, dad didn't even know how to open his glove box.

"These two buttons control the heated seats," I told him.

We turned them on and soon our rumpuses were toasty warm. Dad also has a panoramic sunroof and it thrilled me to open it up. I was greeted by blue skies and wispy white clouds.

"What do you think death is?" my father asked ponderously as he drove.

"It is final and it is the finish line," told him. "You live forever by the propagation of your genes."

I then chuckled to my father and told him I was a genetic dead end. I don't think any woman would want to sire progeny with me if she was in her right mind.

When we arrived back at my house, we took my many medications and performed Maggie's cherished ritual. She was sitting in the den window waiting on us.

"Shit! I am tired," dad said. "I am leaving here, putting on my pajamas, and watching some TV."

2 comments:

Beth said...

We are made of energy. Energy cannot be destroyed. So when we die, that energy returns to ... where? It doesn't die. I choose to believe we return to Source Energy, however you want to perceive that. And for what it's worth, I had an experience this week with a psychic medium who 'spoke' with my ex-mother-in-law -- dead 20+ years--and there were many small things that the medium, whom I'd met just a few hours before, could not possibly have known about her, especially since I rarely speak of her to anyone and was not all that fond of her nor her, I thought, of me. It was eerily accurate. And she told me I was 'her favorite.' I laughed, since I was her only daughter-in-law -- and then I thought of my ex's other two wives (that happened since we were divorced and his mother's death) and decided that maybe of the three, I WAS her favorite! LOL!

Summer said...

Beth is absolutely right. I have been to medium several times over the past year. There is no way on this earth that she could have known the name of my sister's ex-husband who has passed, he came through, or the name of the man she was engaged to for a short period of time in 1967. A real shocker was a woman named Anita. I didn't know Anita, but, she was the close friend of a woman I have worked with for the past ten years. She wanted me to give her a message. So dear Andrew, your mother has not left you, she's with you everyday.