Thursday, February 16, 2017

Friendly Foreigners Are Always Welcome...

I was standing in line at the Piggly Wiggly doing some covert and low-cost shopping this afternoon when this young and very nice looking guy behind me struck up a conversation.

"Where are all the good places to eat around here?" he asked me after shaking my hand.

When in Rome Do As the Romans Do...

"Avoid Wing Time across the parking lot," I told him. "I tried it a few times and it was terrible."

"If you want to eat some really, really good barbecue then Chuck's barbecue in Valley and Roger's barbecue across the river are both great places to go," I told him. "They sell Southern style barbecue -- Vinegary, tart, and with a hint of mustard."

"Merl's Diner down the road is also good and has about everything a restaurant could sell," I then told him. "They have a really good fried catfish plate. The hamburger steak platter is also great as well and my father would vouch for that."

"Now if you are looking for low-cost fare then fast food row is just down the highway past the interstate."

I noticed the fellow had some loaf bread, mayonnaise, Kraft cheese slices, mustard and some cold cuts in his basket.

It was my time to check out and I put my two boxes of Little Debbie fudge walnut brownies on the counter. Certainly I didn't break the bank at $2.22.

No comments: