Friday, February 17, 2017

That Little Scoundrel...

The Meter Readers came today and left the left side fence open. I was sitting here at this computer when I saw Maggie once again scratching her back on the grass in the front yard. Birds gotta fly and fish gotta swim. I got this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was also so very damn livid. School had just let out and the neighborhood streets were saturated with cars as the elementary school is just down the street.

Dammit! We Have a Hoodlum On Our Hands...

I finally enticed Maggie in with some tasty and expensive cold cuts (Black Forest ham). Food is the only way I have found that works reliably. Maggie can think with her stomach sometimes. I let her smell it first and then she quickly followed me inside through the front door. The door slammed shut behind her as I sighed in incredible relief. If I were a cat, I would have just lost one of my nine lives.

What did Maggie want once I got her inside? Yes, it was more food. I put the rest of that ham on a paper plate and sat it down on the floor in the laundry room by her usual food dish. She ate her regular dog food as well.

I can't make the call myself because of my phone phobias, but I am getting dad to call city utilities tomorrow or Monday about what happened. This is the second time they left the fence open.

1 comment:

Rita said...

I used to have this problem. Often, it was the mailman who would leave the gate unlatched.

I put a sign on my front door: "If you opened the gate and came into my yard, make sure you latch it again on your way out. " End of problem for me.

Of course, I put my sign (typed on my computer and printed on an 8 1/2 x 11" paper) on the inside of the window in my door. It can be seen, but not damaged by the weather.

But, people who know how to open a gate when they come in and don't re-close it on their way back out should be shot! Of course, I am kidding, but I find that to be such ignorant behavior!