Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Does the Early Bird Actually Get the Worm?

I was in the bed at 6 PM and deeply asleep within minutes. I couldn't stay up any longer. It was like a time warp when my father knocked on the door at 8:30 PM with Cokes and smokes. It was his first full day of work in over two weeks. He is still congested and coughing, though.

"You are out of it," Old Fuss and Feathers said very worriedly, "Have you been taking something?"

I laughed half-heartedly in complete dismay.

"You always expect the worse out of me!" I told my father scoldingly. "I was just in a very deep sleep when you knocked on the door."

Dad said I was acting drunkenly.

Maggie came ambling into the den and collapsed on my hardwood floor with a grunt and a sigh. Usually, she is going gangbusters at my father's arrival. She was muted last night in her demeanor and response.

"Even Maggie's been taking something!" my father exclaimed with laughter.

Maggie was deep asleep as well relishing the time with me in the bed I explained.

My father wanted to see my medications and smell my breath. He said it would give him peace of mind. I took my nightly dose of two 1 mg Klonopin and a Coreg before I retired to the bed. Nothing was amiss. My father was afraid I had taken a bunch of my Klonopin which would have given a similar response. This kind of scrutiny gets old sometimes. I am 45 years of age.

Did I Hear Thunder?

The first thing I did when I woke up this morning was to check the weather. Yes, we have a vigorous line of storms moving in. If you have read me any length of time, then you know how much this excites me.  They should roll through about 9 AM and then it is supposed to rain the rest of the day.


1 comment:

Sharyn said...

Sweetie, you have had issues with Dad forever. I enjoy looking at past years and found similar posts back in 2010. THAT threw you into a tail spin, remember? So be careful and be grateful. We, too, are waiting for the storm. It sounds bad. But what will it actually become?

Frankly at your age, you have it good. My daughter randomly chases her husband around the house with a Dixie Cup. She demands a pee test. He says he can't pee right now, then she finds him peeing off the porch. So she grabs her cup and runs out the door, trying to catch his pee stream. And of course he is waving it like a flag. Peeing everywhere BUT in the cup! I mean, in the end, she has wet pant legs, wet shoes and about 1/2 in of pee! I think it is ridiculous for ANYONE to do that to a grown man! At least Dad is still just sniffing you!

(And would it be possible for you to give me "read only" status on 4th Avenue Blues?)