Thursday, February 22, 2018

Comment Replies...


Sharyn Bella Asked...

How many Mbps or GBs or whatevers does a person need to run a streaming service such as Sling TV? I know there's got to be something cheaper!!

Andrew Replies...

You need a minimum download speed of 3 Megabits per second (my current internet speed of 30 Mbps) to watch a single video stream in clear, standard definition. The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5 Megabits per second (50 Mbps), and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25 Megabits per second (250 Mbps).

Dad has streaming Netflix and he loves it -- watches videos all the time on it. It will even stream YouTube. We watched The Queen in HD with Helen Mirren last week and the picture was crystal clear and I know my father doesn't have any kind of fancy internet or wireless connection. I think it is like $10 or $12 dollars a month. Be aware that you need a wireless internet connection, though, which can be inexpensively bought at Walmart.

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

Thankies!! Exactly what I needed. In fact, I wrote it down. I have been with my internet company for 5 years so the box is mine. I pay way too much for internet now! LOL I just don't know if I trust the streamers as much as a nice big head banging dish attached to my porch. I also don't know if I will like the programing. So reliability and programming. Those are my biggies. So back I go on the TV hunt. Back in the 1970's none of us stinkin intellectuals would have OWNED a TV!