Friday, February 02, 2018

A Vignette in Darkness...

fine examples of Egyptian mummified cats
I arrived at my father's house late yesterday evening and the back door was open. "Well, this is inviting," I thought to myself. I made my way through the kitchen and my father was in the den sitting in his chair with his pajamas on.

"Why do you have it so dark in here?" I asked him intrigued.

I was also intrigued that his omnipresent television wasn't on.

"Shhh," my father replied softly. "My pussy is asleep on my lap."

A big grin formed on my face and I chuckled softly as I commandeered the recliner next to my father's.

I had to bring my medications which my father studied them to make sure I hadn't missed any dosages and that I am taking them as prescribed.

"I take the morning dosage at around 8 PM to 9 PM and the main dosage at midnight," I told him and he grumbled a little bit.

Yes, I am an animal, too!

I am still stuck in a nocturnal existence

"I never thought you could do it, but you seem to be handling your medications responsibly," he told me.

"I don't want to be crazy," I told my father sincerely, "My life falls into disarray without some help."

Speaking of cats, dad and I spoke for awhile about Egyptian dignitaries who would be entombed with their mummified cats. I had read an article about it in Archeology Today along with a fascinating article on whale fossils and their evolution.

I stood up to leave as it was now twilight outside and I dreaded driving home in the dark.

"Love you," my father said. "And don't forget your Cokes and smokes on the kitchen counter."

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

In charge of your own meds? That is so weird since your dad fought you tooth and nail against it! But then, maybe he is getting a life elsewhere? More football? More grandkids? Uggg! That reminds me. I get to Skype with my granddaughters tomorrow. I saw them last, 2 years ago. Before that it was 2013. Those are the only 2 times I have ever seen them in person. Back in 2011, I think it was, their dad would put them in front of the computer once a week to Skype with me. Life changes which brings it to tomorrow. I am terrified. I have no idea what to say to either of them!!