Sunday, July 08, 2018

Diet +1

standing-on-scalesI went over to Charlie’s new house for awhile this afternoon. I helped him move around a few things, fixed a TV, and I drank a lot of diet Coke. Every time I turned around Charlie was putting another drink in my hands.

“Charlie? You and dad get me diet drinks from KFC tonight,” I urged him.

Charlie said he would, then he wanted me to play his grand piano in the front living room. I played a few songs to Charlie’s revelry. Dad then showed up and he had been drinking. He was loud, crass, and boisterous.

“Well, we are going to go get supper,” Charlie said. “Do you want to ride with us?”

“I’ll head on home and straighten up the house for y’all’s arrival,” I replied to Charlie.

Soon, my father and Charlie arrived with two chicken pot pies and three diet Pepsis (Diet +1).  Dad was in the mood for music as he often is when he has been drinking. I searched for stuff on YouTube and would play it for him. He has a fixation on Iris Dement and a song he wants played at his funeral: Let the Mystery Be. It is a song about agnosticism.

Charlie can’t sit for long so they were soon on their way. I was enjoying their company so you can imagine I was sad to see them go. I think it put Maggie into a slight depression as well with the kind of affection Charlie lavishes upon her.     

1 comment:

Sharyn said...

Good morning! I have picked up the old lady habit of not sleeping. It's not so much I'm afraid I'll die in my sleep but in my mentally interesting periods actually believe this is all a dream and I am going to wake up back in Portola or worse. One morning tho, my kitty was scratching his ear, which in my dream state, I thought was my Lissie kicking. So I woke up to Rome NY 42 years ago!! LOL

I want to say how very proud I am of you! You once called me a surrogate mom so I'm telling you. Miss Martha would be proud too. You are helping less fortunate humans, something she did everytime she taught a kid to read or loaned a neighborhood kid books (a neighbor teacher did that for me). You are working in a field that needs people and again, helps the less fortunate. (Miss Martha would have put them all on the vaccination calendar!) And you are taking pride in your appearance and surroundings. So very proud!!

Just don't over do! A lot of us cannot say "No", but in your case too much can be too much. So just watch yourself! Love you!!