Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Reporting to Kroger, Sir!

0007641090373_0_A1C1_0600My diet got really serious tonight. I didn’t buy 4 bags of powdered donuts and several gallons of whole milk with a side of sugary cereal. The big value boxes of unfrosted strawberry Pop-Tarts got left on the shelf. The hardest thing I gave up were my whole grain and cheddar crackers. Those things were irresistible to me, but six little crackers were 200 calories.

“Oh, I could eat you all up!” I muttered to myself as I passed the Hostess and Little Debbie shelves on my way to get a loaf of bread.

One time, my mother lost a lot of weight drinking those Slimfast drinks and I bought a case of them tonight. It was my biggest expense at $15 dollars and some change. That’s going to be my lunch. I also absolutely love Klondike bars and imagine my elation when they offered a sugar free version. I ate one when I got home and it was delicious. I couldn’t wait to try it.

black-cherry-greek-yogurt-single-serve-1Some of the other foods I got were fat free black cherry Greek yogurt for snacking, sugar free drink mixes to replace the copious amounts of whole milk I used to drink, and quite a few Lean Cuisine meals. I rounded out my groceries with my two journal writing sodas which were two diet Mountain Dews. I resisted buying the super calorific Baja Blast variant even though I wanted them quite earnestly. They have 380 calories per bottle compared to the 10 calories of the diet variant. I think I picked wisely.  

So, what was the damage dealt tonight? I spent $91 dollars. My father was fine with it realizing I was in uncharted waters with all this dieting food. I bought too many Lean Cuisine meals for the most part. Junk food is so less expensive as well. Four bags of Hostess powdered donuts will only cost you $8 dollars. A big bag of Cheetos puffs only costs $3 dollars. Whole milk is only $2.20 a gallon at Kroger.

“You’ll get better as you go,” my father kindly told me as we headed to our respective cars.

We were both glad we missed the big swath of rain headed our way. It started raining as soon as I arrived home and was unloading my groceries. Dad called me as I was unloading and said we had perfect timing on those regards tonight. I agreed.

No comments: