Wednesday, August 01, 2018

The Old Soul…

We have an older black lab in residence with us at the moment. She will not go through the trapdoor to the outside kennels. She completely refuses and no amount of my coaxing will get the old gal out there. I got down on my haunches today and rubbed her face while she licked my face in return. Something about the portal scares her. Many of these dogs come in emotionally damaged in some way. They need kind, caring, and patient homes.

“You have it your way old girl,” I told her this morning.

I had to do things the old fashioned way and use a pooper scooper.

It was pouring rain when I left the Humane Society about 11:30 AM and I didn’t mind. We need the rain. It is nice having a car where the wipers work as they should.

Ambivalence…

Tuleana called me this morning and it was no coincidence that it was the 1st of the month and government checks were here. They don’t have a car and have to bum rides all the time. It would be much better if they lived in town, but they live way out in the boonies by the truck stop on the interstate. It is a good 25 mile drive from my house.

“When are you coming to see us?” she asked me really wanting to ask me to carry them shopping today.

“Oh, I might get out there in a couple of days,” I told her to her chagrin.

“We miss you, Andrew,” she told me and I told her I was at “work” and couldn’t talk long.

“Do you want to talk to Richard?” she then asked.

“That’s okay,” I said. “Tell Richard I said hello.”

“When can we see you?” Tuleana then asked.

“Maybe sometime next week,” I replied. “Listen, I need to get off the phone.”

3 comments:

glittermom said...

She is persistent. Don’t let them take advantage of you.

Rita said...

I try to be kind to all people, but when someone like Tuleana would continue to take advantage of you, I feel the need to not be nice, at all. I know you are a genteel Southern man, and I am a woman from the West, but you and I both know they have no care or concern for you, just what you can do for them.

Sharyn said...

I think Jermaine is more "real" than Tuleana! She is a user.