Monday, August 06, 2018

Wake Up Cacophony…

I got up at the ungodly hour of 5 AM and couldn’t go back to sleep. I lay in the bed for quite some time hoping to fall back to sleep to no avail. I took a shower and got dressed in some old cleaning clothes. Maggie followed me into the kitchen as I got and ate a SlimFast protein bar for breakfast. She got little nibbles of it and two slices of pizza for breakfast so she was a happy dog when I left the house at daybreak. She ran outside barking up a storm not wanting me to go as I pulled out of the driveway.

I was down at the Humane Society at 7 AM this morning which is 6 AM their time. I told you it is a long drive. I pass time zones to get there. It is nice having a key to the place as I can come and go as I see fit and when it pleases me.

The dogs all started to bark up a storm when I entered the kennels. I called it my “wake up cacophony” this morning. The symphony of the canine.

“Come on ya’ll,” I hollered very loudly. “Let’s get you all to the outside kennels.”

I started to open all the trapdoors while dodging poop. The old timers know the routine well, then they will get fresh water and kibble when I let them back inside. There was many an empty food dish this morning.

Libby, as I’ve named the old black Labrador in homage to a friend’s older black Labrador, stood her ground and wagged her tail briskly glad to see me. She got special treatment this morning getting food and kibble first before I started cleaning. I’ve come to love the dog and would carry her home with me in a heartbeat – to give her a stable and loving home in her waning years. She is just sweet as molasses. I believe she would have a lot of patience with high strung Maggie. Just what my father feared by me taking this position. Yes, I get attached to the animals. It is only natural.

1 comment:

glittermom said...

I hope she finds a forever home oneday.