Saturday, August 11, 2018

Situational Saturdays…

I have brand new neighbors across the street. I walked over today and talked to the wife of the familial unit.

“I just wanted to welcome y’all into the neighborhood and let me know if you need any help moving,” I told her as I shook her hand.

She seemed very friendly and waved goodbye as I walked off back to my house. Dad marveled that I did that considering my social anxieties.

“You’ve come a long way, son,” he told me.

Culinarily Frou Frou…

Dad and I watched our GPTV cooking shows this afternoon. We have both grown to enjoy this Saturday event very much. Some of the cooking can be way over the top, though. A guy was barbecuing saffron infused cheese and bacon stuffed chicken breasts over old growth grapevine wood which gave it a “sweet, succulent taste”. Dad just looked at me and we both rolled our eyes.

“Now, where in the hell are you going to find old growth grapevine wood around here?” dad asked me facetiously.

Every time I heard grapevine, I thought of that monthly publication put out about Alcoholics Anonymous.

3 comments:

glittermom said...

Years ago there were welcome wagons they would welcome you into the neighborhood and have little gifts for you and information about the town. Handy items. I wonder if anywhere they still have them. Sounds like something you’d find in the south now days. Dont know if was a city thing or a neighborhood thing. When we moved to Kentucky years ago they came by.

Sharyn said...

On the internet. I bet you can find old growth grapevine wood there. But if we sell all the old growth, none will be left. People argue that about Redwood trees, I don't know if it works for grapevines tho....Maybe the world has enough of those....LOL

Trader Joe's (or is it Vic's? One is a high end grocery, the other is a bar. Go to the store, not the bar) has fancy schmancy foods for gourmet cooking. Maybe you two could do that together.

That reminded me of, way back before your time, in the 1960's; there was a cooking show. On PBS, I believe. At the end of the show, the woman would tell you what we were cooking tomorrow and the grocery list so we could all shop ahead and cook along with her! A few years ago, a cable network did Dinner and a Movie. They would help you prepare a movie themed snack using general kitchen fare. I used to like to "cook along".....

Sharyn said...

Glittermom--I remember independently welcoming new folk to the neighborhood. Most were suspicious and it made me sad when a loud speaker just told me to "leave it on the porch, someone will get it later". Too many crazies out there!

Nextdoor.com is like a mini facebook where they send out snail mail cards inviting neighbors to join. It tags the nearest 100 addresses to you. It is suppose to create those old fashion neighborhoods with block parties, welcome wagons, and yard sales. In my case, we are so rural that the addresses were spread out over half the county and NOT crowded in real close; so it didn't work.....