Sunday, August 12, 2018

The White Truck Brings Gifts…

Huffy CruiserI was sitting in the computer room this afternoon when I saw my father and Charlie pull up in front of my house in the white truck. This bode fortuitous as the white truck often does and it was. 

“Maggie? Charlie and Papa are here!!!!” I jubilantly exclaimed.

Maggie squealed in the other room and rushed to the door along with me beside her. I walked outside to greet them regaining my composure. Maggie barked from the other side of the screen door awaiting anxiously to see them.

“I’ve got you a bicycle you can have,” my father said. “I was debating on whether to give it to you or not fearing it would just get stolen.”

It was a Huffy men’s cruiser type of bike – you know, those bikes with one speed, huge seats, and gigantic handlebars. Well, I was just overjoyed to get it in the interim of getting my mountain bike.

“I got it for exercise,” my father told me. “But I have never even rode it once. It’s been sitting in the garage for ages. The tires were flat from disuse and me and Charlie went and put some air in them for you.”

Dad, Charlie, and I each took turns riding it down to the end of the street and back. I was pleased as a Georgia peach. Charlie said he hadn’t ridden a bicycle since he was a kid, but seemed to be doing a fine job of it to me.

“Now, you are going to have to bring it inside every night or it will get stolen,” my father further warned me of my neighborly miscreants.

I promised my father I would do so. It is propped up against the porch door in the den as I write this. I might take it out for an after dark cruise around the neighborhood tonight.

No comments: